Radius arms/trailing arm nut stuck.

Guest wunntenn

Guest wunntenn

Changing suspension bushes and have the 2 big 30mm nuts stuck tight on the trailing arms on the outriggers,. Very long breaker bar and my reasonable weight and muscle will not budge it. One of the nuts has started to get the corners a bit rounded so its going to be an even bigger pig now. What are my options?

Whack a smaller socket onto it and get that stuck too?

Are there 30mm mechanical nut splitters available? (I cant find any online).

Carefully attack with the grinder and a chisel?

Clean any thread you can get to with a wire brush, to make life easier once you cracked it off.

Good quality 6 sided socket, lots of penetrating oil, stick the trolley jack under the end of the cheater bar, leave overnight? (This is harder to do on one side of the truck of course.)

I did once burst a Halfords 30mm socket this way, but replacing it with a quality item solved the problem.

If it really won't budge, then heat can work wonders, or carefully drill several holes in the centre of one flat, and burst it with a chisel?

Guest wunntenn

Thanks! In order of cost then it seems - big lads, trolley jack, blowtorch!

As a last resort, if I grind it down a bit would sticking a nut splitter on it do the trick - cant find a 30mm splitter but maybe be able to sneak a smaller one on after a careful trim? (never ever used a nut splitter before so no idea of their efficiency).

I wouldn't heat it, there are rubber bushes behind and this will make a mess.

I also wouldn't bother with a nut splitter.

I doubt you could get a grinder in to cut the nut, maybe a die grinder but i wouldn't - chances are you'll damage the threads on the arm.

You just get more power on the breaker bar.

I use a torque multiplier on tight stuff, but isn't exactly in your normal tool kit !

G

I just did my A-frame and had a similar problem... I have a reasonably powerful windy gun but that wouldn't do it, so I opted for the Clarke mains-powered impact wrench instead. Its 'rate of fire' is much higher than the air powered tool, and as such shifts the stuckest (new word?!) of nuts. It is just a pig to get into tight places, that's all.