Anti-sway bars on a Series 3?

Gareth Dickens

Since we travel vast distances here at 120 km/h and I'm hoping to use the Series as a daily driver. (I have a rather aggressive driving style) I thought of fitting Anti-sway bars to my Series.( The quick disconnectable type,similar to the Jeeps.).

So, anyone done this before or is there anything I should consider?

I was thinking of looking at a set off a disco or old Rangie.

Something is niggling at the back of what remains of my mind; about ex-military ambulances being fitted with anti roll bars. Though I could be thinking about 110s or austin metros or some other thing.

I'd have thought it be a fairly simple matter, two brackets on the chassis, two rose jointed links to the shock plates and an anti roll bar from something about the same weight? Disco perhaps? Holding the anti roll bar to the chassis would self-suggest bracket positions etc.

G.

Donno, I find three leaf paras to be fine for me, but I've a pickup 109. Mind you, the last time when the roof was really loaded, the sway was more noticeable. I was slower around roundabouts that day!

So, what I'm saying is wouldn't stiffer springs give you what you want? Haven't you been playing with different springs?

Oh and I think they were on the back - the shorter front springs limit axle articulation.

Were they fit to the front or rear axle or both? They could bring great anti-wrap qualities - problem is you disconnect them for offroad when you need it most.

Most Defenders I've seen with them are back-axle only. IIRC most of the heavier ones got them.

I don't see how anti-roll-bars would give anti-wrap effects as they don't constrain the axle rotation?

So, in answer to your question - yes, they were fitted to the front.

Clever how they did it, neh? To the chrome ball mounting at the front and using a set of SWB shock mountings on the back! Can't quite figure what they bolted the brackets to on the front - maybe a new bit on the chassis?

G.

Managed to download them, thanks Gazzar. Fridge, look at the front setups. With the leverage and way theyre fit it should help with tramp. The rear setup won't though. It looks basic enough. I'll see what I can scrounge off a old Disco or Rangie and how they'll fit. I was thinking of attaching to the axle bump stops.

I've got those longer Hilux leafs up front (43.3" vs std Series fronts @ 35.4") and the Ford V8's added weight which could increase sway. So I'm thinking front and back on my S3 Safari (stationwagon). Do you agree?

snagger (nick) has them fitted on his 109, i belive he used one from the front of a series 2 ambulance, but i will let him chime in.

I must be honest that i never felt the need for one although it does roll a bit when pushed hard on corners.

G

Fridge, look at the front setups. With the leverage and way theyre fit it should help with tramp.

I'd agree that the front setup, which is not how I'd envisaged it, would have a small anti-wrap effect but the compliance in the bushes and the lack of mechanical advantage (very short lever in the axle mount) I reckon would minimise the effect. I'd half expect bad wrap (eg with parabolics / big tyres / more power) to bend the pin on the axle mount.

By any chance do you speak Dutch!?!

I do...

1- stabilizer fixings

2-stabilizer bar

3 vertical mount

And the sway bar does nothing for axle tramp: if the axle rotates, both droplinks move up or down, and the stabilizer rotates in its mounts, in which no force is createdon the axle whatsoever.

Daan

I do have one on my 109, but it's the rear bar. I had to revise its mounting position and orientation to accommodate the rear fuel tank - ambulances only use front tanks. I didn't fit a front anti-roll bar as my Tdi rad sits atop the dumb irons where the anti-roll bar would go.

The single rear bar eliminated about 80% of the body roll alone, but still allowed the front outboard corner to dip when turning at speed. Now I have uprated the front parabolics to three-leafs, the cornering is very comfortable.

All the work is detailed with photos in the suspension section of my blog.

I got 2 Range Rover P38 anti-sway bars but they ended up being the exact width of my chassis. Since they would have interfered with the leafs I took them back and got a Range Rover classic bar with mounts.

A better solution in the end as the Rangie weighs 2500kg empty and my Series 3 only 1680kg which is closer to RRC. The Series would have handled like a go-kart but might have ended up in a cross axle situation on a speed bump. :blink:

So I'm still searching for a second anti-sway bar off another Classic Rangie or a Defender.

I will fit the rear setup first.

• 1 month later...

Some Land Rover Santana (Spanish) models had anti-sway bars, front and back. Even 88'' ones.

I no longer have the bars (sad story), but may have their supports. They're basically the springs mounts with a bar. If you need them, let me know and I'll dig in the pile.

Some pictures:

p1040764.jpg

p1040750.jpg

p1040744.jpg

I managed to get a Defender rear anti roll bar complete and I've got a RRC rear I'll fit to the front. I just need the mount plates for the RRC one. Then I will fit them with rose joints and quick disconnect pins. I see you seem to have the straps around the axle. Are they neccesary with anti-roll bars?