Weld-on diff guard, to drain oil or not?

Michele

'Morning,

I just bought a weld-on diff guard from Gwyn Lewis to replace my Qt "wrap around" type which doesn't fit anymore with the 3-Link kit...

Erm, some recommended me to drain the oil in the differential before welding, and refill after.

Shouldn't oil absorb the heat eventually?

Therefore it would be better to simply refill with fresh oil after surgery? :unsure:

Is there anything inside likely to be affected by the heat?

I have the ARB locker (rubber seals), but I don't think welding around the pan give any issue...my feeling at least, but I'd like to be sure.

Opinions?

post-76-0-44159000-1349429180_thumb.jpg

Howcome you've bought that style and not the replacement pan ? These are very nice from Gwyn.

To answer your question, i'd remove the diff and shafts as well as drain the oil.

It's going to cost you about £5 to refill the oil and hardly take any time. If welded properly you'd burn the oil and heat up the seals. Don't forget you've got bearings and shafts in there.

G

Because I have no time, room, money and will to do the whole cut & weld job properly...my fabricator is usually super busy and his workshop is not for cars.

If it's the case of gutting the whole pig (given the 3 link with rockguard in place), I'd rather buy a clamp on guard...it took me an awful amount of time and swearing to install everything...

:(

Fair enough.

Personally i'd still strip it.

You could strip it at home and then take it to your fabricator with no shafts, diff or prop in. You don't need to touch your 3 link to remove this surely ?

G

Problem is, yes, everything must go to clear the diff.

Annoying, isn't it?

In the meanwhile, I got a line from Gwyn himself:

Hi

you can weld it with the oil in no problem, make sure the breather is not blocked.

Gwyn

Sure I'll change oil no matter what...!

Why dont you get the Gigglepin one, it fits over the existing dif cover. I removed my diff and cut off the old cover to fit it, but it is not strictly needed. The Gigglepin one recommends to drain the oil and weld it on.

Daan

Hi mate,

I didn't even know they had one, so many choices, I came across Gwyin's time ago while looking for some DIY suspension bits and it looked simple and cheap...

Alternatively I could chop my old Qt as I have the 2 tabs for that already welded in place, would simply weld the bottom lip...but it's a shame.

I'll change the oil for peace of mind...