air compressor for diff lock

mudmagnet

You can use pretty much any compressor that will deliver 70psi (5 Bar) or more. You need a pressure switch to turn the compressor off when it reaches pressure.

If the pressure is too high it will damage the ARB. From experience, between 70 and 80psi is about right.

Si

I use something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-COMPRESSOR-PRESSURE-SWITCH-SINGLE-PHASE-20AMP-/180585019877?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item2a0bb4b9e5#ht_2574wt_922

Which is high enough current rating to switch the compressor directly.

The compressor connects to a reservoir of about 10L and the switch attaches to the reservoir, as do the lockers.

I'm using an old Discovery air suspension compressor.

Si

Yes you can. I have just done it with a small Tmax compressor on my 110. I made a small air reservoir using a 20cm long piece of 10cm box with flat plat welded on the ends, tapped to take a 1/4" thread before welding (so as to make sure there was no swarf inside!). I used a proper ARB pressure switch sold by Devon 4x4 but they are quite expensive (£32) and I since learned you can get them much cheaper. It is a much more simple set up than the one in Si's link which is a bit more involved in plumbing in (I have one on my on-board air set up on my other truck). The whole system is plumbed in with 6mm plastic pipe and push fit connectors. I also fitted a pcl fitting so i can still blow up tyres.

The compressor runs for about 10 seconds (if that) till the system is pressurised and then you can use the rear locker 6 times before it cuts in again for a few seconds.

You can use pretty much any compressor that will deliver 70psi (5 Bar) or more. You need a pressure switch to turn the compressor off when it reaches pressure.

If the pressure is too high it will damage the ARB. From experience, between 70 and 80psi is about right.

Si

So for me as I am going down the OBA route with an airco comp will I need a separate reservoir for the diff locks? I will be looking to run normal air pressures of up to 120psi from the pump.

Some sort of pressure regulator in the line to the ARB would be perhaps sensible as you "might" risk damaging the seal at 120 psi. I think the recommended pressure is 70-90 psi. If you have a pressure switch like the one in Si's link you can set the pressure so it shuts off at 90 psi anyway (which is still plenty high enough to inflate tyres), but if you want to use air tools then you may sometimes need higher pressure. Also, if planning to use air tool you will definitely need a reservoir, the bigger the better. My 2 litre tank will run a rattle gun for about 2 seconds!

You may find with a compressor based OBA system there is enough volume in the pipe work to fire the ARB a couple of times. What you don't want is that everytime you switch the locker on, the system has to start up and pressurise before the locker kicks in as this defeats the object of having an "on demand" traction aid.

Sorry, didn't explain myself very well, I have planned 2 tanks as I am going to recycle my 2 spent 10Kg fire extinguishers, I don't know what sort of volume that would be but they are quite big!! Also tested to 18BAR too. It is still an option to run the system to main tank at 120psi meaning that there is pressure and flow enough for air tools and set the other tank on a pressure solenoid to shut @80psi to do the diff locks.

Hope I explained myself better.

You can't run two solenoids with one pump to pump two tanks to different pressures. The simple solution is use as many tanks as you like but have all the same pressure (controlled by one solenoid) then just have a regulator on one output to drop the pressure to 80psi for the difflocks.

You can't run two solenoids with one pump to pump two tanks to different pressures. The simple solution is use as many tanks as you like but have all the same pressure (controlled by one solenoid) then just have a regulator on one output to drop the pressure to 80psi for the difflocks.

I never thought of that, oops, just thought of a solenoid valve to shut the last tank off at 80psi would be right? where do I start with pressure regulators? Never encountered those before, well not knowingly anyway? Suppose hence my thinking.

The pressure switch switches the pump on and off, it switches electric not air. So in your case it will be switching the aircon clutch.

Just plumb both your tanks in parallel, have a 120 psi pressure switch and have two tank outputs. One output will be for full pressure air and will have the benefit of the capacity of both tanks, on the other output fit a regulator like one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370539331446 set the pressure to what you like (80psi in your case) then take the regulator output and plumb to your difflock control valves/solenoids.

Si

Si, i personaly run about 80psi throughout my air system through a regulator. But i'm sure i've read somewhere before that the ARB's actually prefer to be higher pressured than lower for their seals.

I've got an air con pump as the primary compressor and then a t-max as the secondary - both have on/off switches as well as pressure switches so i can choose which to run.. Both supply into a brake tank from a lorry.

The t-max ones are pretty good value, just don't get dirt in them thats how i've destroyed them before (hence now have a spare fitted!)

G

Si

Si, i personaly run about 80psi throughout my air system through a regulator. But i'm sure i've read somewhere before that the ARB's actually prefer to be higher pressured than lower for their seals.

I've got an air con pump as the primary compressor and then a t-max as the secondary - both have on/off switches as well as pressure switches so i can choose which to run.. Both supply into a brake tank from a lorry.

The t-max ones are pretty good value, just don't get dirt in them thats how i've destroyed them before (hence now have a spare fitted!)

G