Spring Seat Broken

After a recent inspection I noticed the spring seat was broken on the front near side. I found the page here which gives a part number but not getting this on my trusted LR Direct site or many other places !

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/lr-parts-4481/land-rover-defender-parts-21671/page-14-fullsize.html

Item number 12, STC8696

It's suprisingly simple if you take lots of measurements and photos to help yourself prior to cutting the original off. Use nearby parts of the chassis as datum points and measure twice (or even 4 times!) before you cut. Are you able to weld/do you have welding equipment?

• 3 weeks later...

'tis worse than I thought. After finaly getting someone to do it, they looked at it and said the corrosion on the chassis is bad in that area. It will need the axle etc removed and the chassis leg plated. They can't take on such a big job in the workshop they use as it's for other business.

Just wondering if I could put the Defender up on axle stands in my driveway, do the stripping down and get someone out to do the welding on site.

IMG_20121027_162133.jpg

IMG_20121027_162241.jpg

I had this happen to me but it was the trumpet that was totally rusted through.

My MOT man pointed out the problem but said it was only a mud shield so not important.

Went to Scotland and hit a pothole, whole thing snapped shoving the shock through the inner wing and breaking the expansion tank off its mounts.

Had to drive 600 miles home with no shocker.

Just show MOT people don't always know what they are testing!

You need to look carefully at the other 90 rot spots. The underside of the front dumbirons above the jacking points (nearly always rotted out even on otherwise good chassis in my experience), the downward curves of the chassis , the top of the chassis around the Aframe crossmember. I think you will find you have either a lot of welding to do or a new chassis to buy.

I had this happen to me but it was the trumpet that was totally rusted through.

My MOT man pointed out the problem but said it was only a mud shield so not important.

Went to Scotland and hit a pothole, whole thing snapped shoving the shock through the inner wing and breaking the expansion tank off its mounts.

Had to drive 600 miles home with no shocker.

Just show MOT people don't always know what they are testing!

This exact same thing happened to mine. The turret had rusted through but also the top of the spring seat had rusted right through too. One bumpy lane and the shock went through the inner wing snapping off the header tank.

When I came to look at it the other side wasn't far behind so I ordered two new turrets, two HD turret rings and then rebuilt the spring seat myself. In my case it was only the top surface of the seat that had rusted so it was fairly straight forward to rebuild with plate. I managed all the work by myself with just the wheel off and the truck on stands so it's not too tough a job to do.

YIKES! ever heard of washing/painting/waxoiling?!

How did that even pass the last MOT?

Give e a break, its twenty years old and I've only had it a few months. Had a few other more pressing things to sort out was considering chassis work for next summer but its bit me in the bum already :(

Give e a break, its twenty years old and I've only had it a few months. Had a few other more pressing things to sort out was considering chassis work for next summer but its bit me in the bum already :(

It doesn't look that bad tbh. It looks in better condition than mine (which is also 20 years old and had been treated to waxoyl). It's a common rot spot.

Was the rot just limited to the spring seat? Glad you managed to find yourself a welder :)

Bonus points for fixing your chainsaw ;)

No there were a two other bits in the same area which he plated. He reckons the rest of the chassis is ok but not great. I hope to make it to the summer without any firther surprises but I will be very attentive to the bits you don't usually see.