Wiring loom manufacturers

ejparrott

My 109 currently has a series indiactor stalk, which won't (so far) self cancel with the 90/110 steering column used on the PAS. I thought I'd swap over to a 90/110 stalk and shroud to make it all neat and tidy, and in order to connect it up get a short adaptor lead made up from 90/110 socket to Series plug.

I asked Autosparks and they said No. I asked if they would make me up a 90/110 socket with just some half metre tails on and I'd splice a plug on from a nearly new but knackered series wiper stalk.... They didn't even bother answering.

So, does anyone else make wiring looms?

My 109 currently has a series indiactor stalk, which won't (so far) self cancel with the 90/110 steering column used on the PAS. I thought I'd swap over to a 90/110 stalk and shroud to make it all neat and tidy, and in order to connect it up get a short adaptor lead made up from 90/110 socket to Series plug.

I asked Autosparks and they said No. I asked if they would make me up a 90/110 socket with just some half metre tails on and I'd splice a plug on from a nearly new but knackered series wiper stalk.... They didn't even bother answering.

So, does anyone else make wiring looms?

Ed, Can you not just solder what you need onto the existing loom or make up a seperate loom bastardising the two together using solder and heat shrink-then you'll get exactly what you need and you won't get told No then will you? :D

John

Ed, Can you not just solder what you need onto the existing loom or make up a seperate loom bastardising the two together using solder and heat shrink-then you'll get exactly what you need and you won't get told No then will you? :D

John

The problem with that is I can't revert to Series, if I should choose to for some reason, and so far no luck in buying a loom cheap to cut off the socket I want.

Make your own.

Get hold of a Vehicle Wiring Products catalogue most if not all the bits are in there.

If you can point me to the right connectors great, but so far I've looked through a multitude of catalogues and webpages and failed to find matching fittings. They really do look to me as though the plastic mouldings are cast after the wires are crimped, and there's no way you can achieve that at home.

The problem with that is I can't revert to Series, if I should choose to for some reason, and so far no luck in buying a loom cheap to cut off the socket I want.

Ed, I meant making a lead you could combine the series connectors to the 90/110 ones-a link lead so to speak?

John

Problem is with those connectors is that when they get old and oxidised they tend to leave bits of themselves in their mating halves on disconnection. Conventional bullet connectors crimped to individual cables work though.

Extending this further, you could probably manufacture a suitable connector using bullet connectors and electrical potting compound?

have you thought of using solder sleeves? These are transparent sleeves about 20mm in length with a solder band at each end & one in the middle. All you do is use a heatgun to join the two wires together, then cover the sleeve with glue lined DR25 heatshrink. easy to do. Not sure where you get the solder sleeves from though but if you're interested in using that method I'll do some research.

Foxy

I think VWP do the sleeves you speak of...

John I think I'm trying to do what you suggest....I have spare bits of Series indicator wiring on the plug side, which I'd like to splice to the part of the bulkhead loom from a 90/110 that contains the socket for the wiper stalk....two plugs and sockts later, and I can plug in 90/110 or series wiper stalks willy nilly.

I'll have to have another look at bullets, the last time I looked mine, which I thought were standard, didn't fit anything on the Land Rover! My thinking was that If I had the original moulded plugs then it would be a two second job to swap them out, and impossible to connect the wrong way round.

More thinking to do!

John I think I'm trying to do what you suggest....I have spare bits of Series indicator wiring on the plug side, which I'd like to splice to the part of the bulkhead loom from a 90/110 that contains the socket for the wiper stalk....two plugs and sockts later, and I can plug in 90/110 or series wiper stalks willy nilly.

Ed, Yes mate exactly what I meant.

John

You'll not find anyone selling those awful moulded rubber/bullet connectors separately because, as you said earlier, they're moulded around the bullet/cable in production..

If you want to retain that connector on your vehicle's loom and use a later Defender column switch then, as you've already said, you will need an adaptor loom.

The easiest way to do this would be to utilise the rubber/bullet connector from an old series/early Defender column switch, cut off of the switch with sufficient cable lengths to crimp on the later type of 4-way female connector, to mate with the newer type of switch.

I can supply the 4-way female connector and terminals.

• 3 weeks later...

I may have solved this one, but in no way helpful to anyone else looking to do same..... A friend had a minor accident on saturday an set fire to his wiring loom in the engine bay, having sourced a replacement the old one should provide the socket I require! Will let you know folks