Brake pad Rubbing, Movement

Just before I had to look for a welder for the spring seat I was going to investigate squeeking from the brakes. After our latest offroad trip to celebrate the welding job we also had a constant rubbing noise. After checking underneath for bushes, branches and dead animals I decided it may be brake related so I started to remove the wheels.

Knowing it would be the last one I was pleasantly surprised to find a problem on the very first lift.

These pictures are taken AFTER I had pushed the pad back in line with the other pad, there has been some deep scarring going on there.

IMG_20121122_134312.jpg

Here's another pic.

IMG_20121122_134343.jpg

I'm not sure about the level of brake/disc wear or whether some pad fixing has broken. I have only ever worked on mountain bike hydraulic brakes :)

What do you reckon ?

Oh, sorry it's dirty again, just going down to clean it now after yesterdays outing.

Blimey, that is quite a crusty mess :o

There is so much corrosion there that the O.D. of the disk has been rubbing against the caliper!

New pads, new disks. See if you can clean up the caliper enough for a pad to sit correctly, otherwise it's new caliper too.

Maybe replace that brake pipe, as that also looks rather crusty.

Having seen your spring seat photos, the truck looks like it has been neglected near the sea, if not dunked in it; or maybe it's seen that special blend agricultural corrosion enhancer.

Definitely time for new discs/calipers/pads. The 'spackle' pattern on the non-rusty part of the disc shows that the pad's not been applying much in the way of uniform pressure - suggesting that the caliper is really rather sticky. Chances are the pistons are corroded on the bit that's been exposed, so they won't slide back in easily.

[You should never need to resort to tyre-levers G-clamps or big screwdrivers to push the pistons back in: if, after loosening the bleed nipple to let the displaced fluid out, you can't push the pistons using a six-inch screwdriver, they're binding and it's time for either a strip/rebuild or a replacement].

My brake disc has been wearing across most of the face except about 5mm on the outer edge. Pads, discs, pistons have been replaced and it still does it. I've found out it's because the holes for the brake pad pins have enlarged and the brake pad now drops away from the edge of the disc towards the centre. Only a new caliper will really solve this.

In your case it's probably pistons, but agree with above that replacing everything is the best option.

My back brakes did the same thing, calipers had worn on the inner slope and pads dropped. I now have new calipers and got the type with pins to spot this happening again.

I had a look at the other three corners today and it looks like i should do the whole lot ! The front RH disc had a whole in it, not on the flat part of the disc used for braking but on the bowl part.

I have been looking for the parts online but there seems to be a few different kinds, I need to make sure I get compatible discs/calipers/pads for my 1993 Defender 90 200Tdi.

I also need the guard that you can just see on the right of my pictures. Now why doesnt some kind supplier do a complete kit ?

More googling...

From corrosion? or a rubbing pad? Just my morbid curiosity ....

No it looked like it had been done on purpose ! I didn't have my phone with me as it was charging, but it really looked like the hole had been cut. Either that or some sort of isolated failure in the metal !

Just been looking on paddocks. For example theres a whole page of calipers, I need ones for chassis No LA933***

http://www.paddockspares.com/parts-and-accessories/land-rover-defender/brakes/front-axle.html#___SID=U&p=2

I take it the choice is simply whether I am going to be using vented or non vented discs.

Well, you have non vented discs, so if you want to go vented, you will have to get vented calipers too.

I found this site pretty helpful for brake parts.

http://www.shop4autoparts.net/Defender/Brakes/Discs,Calipers-&-Drums

If in doubt about what to order, i'd give them a ring - they can double check everything is correct then.