TD5 speedo's and series 3's

ejparrott

I know what you mean, but on a defender, the cable is split in the engine compartment, .......

Is it? Just checked a few pictures online of both LHD and RHD cables and they all look 1 piece to me, also when messing about with mine I don't recall seeing a join.

I know what you mean, but on a defender, the cable is split in the engine compartment, which turns this into an easy job. The needle is stable enough for me to never worry about it.

Daan

not in all models, on mine it was a one piece cable as are the majority of UK vehicles.

Yes the lt 230 clamp will hold the cable in place. You need to remove the retaining 3 hole series ring (or tape it to the cable) as it will now be of no use.

G

Now that is a useful snippet of information! Maybe I won't bother changing the speedo afterall!!!!

but there are different types or series speedo's, swb and lwb (or more accurately tyre size decided speedo ratio). Does anyone know which speedo head works with the lt230 and which speedo drive gear you need in the lt230? By that i mean what combination actually reads close to accurate, as all combinations would work, just not accurately lol.

Which speedo head would still be governed by the tyres and diff ratios, not the LT. You need a 1408 for a LWB with 750 tyres, the 1395 for 900's, 1536 for 600 and 650 tyres, and 1504 for 650 and 700 tyres...according to my list anyway. All based on a standard series 4.7:1 diff.

I dont think any series speedo head will work with the LT (from memory), or at least show a speed relating anything near the speed you are actually doing. It depends of the ratio of the worm in the speedo drive, how does the series and Lt compare, and tyre size and diff ratios. It is a bit long winded but you could work out a combo that works. I just went with the defender speedo and that works, using 4.75 diffs and 35" tyres. You than also have 3 different ratios of the LT worm that you can play with should it need altering.

Daan

item 2 cable on yhat page shows a one piece cable when searched for. http://www.lrseries....=prc6021&page=1

prc6021/prc6022/prc6023 all are 1 piece

From the same company there is this:

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/9895/2927/1/PRC5663-SPEEDO-CABLE-LOWER-RHS.html?limit=0

and this:

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/9887/2923/7/PRC5567-SPEEDO-CABLE-UPPER.html?sort=za

I am pretty sure that I used these on my series landy as well, with the 3 holed clampplate from the series cable so I could fit a tripcounter.

Daan