Autobox Isn't Working anymore, Please help

CJ1

It appears to be leaking where the metal pipe connects. I will give a definite reply to what exactly it is leaking. I should say where it is leaking on the pipe. And that is really funny about the link above. Before I came onto this page someone else sent me that link through facebook and I have bought it :D But thank you. And glad to hear it is good stuff :rofl:

Thanks Stevie D for the info. That Confuses me more. I though Land Rovers were meant to be simple? :unsure:

I am going to have to phone Terrain or Barratts Land Rover in the Morning. And find out for definite what I am in for.

Yes I believe it is the bell housing plug. I sent over the links I was given in the part number request thread and he identified the Bell Housing Plug part number RTC4335.

I have no idea how it ended up missing as it was there when I bought the Discovery.

Hmm... If its the plug I'm thinking off, it is supposed to be missing as the bell housing doesn't contain oil. If you wee driving forward, it wouldn't get oil on the belts either.

So, I don't think that is the issue. Maybe there is a discreet slit in a hose you can't see without it being under pressure?

Donald

RTC4335 is a blanking plug. And 2 of them are fitted on the auto transmission. That is not the wading plug in the bellhousing. As Fatboy says driving forwards you wouldn't get oil on the belt if driving forwards from there, the oil would be over the rear of the auto gearbox and transfer box backwards. No 8 in the picture below.

post-28226-0-68053200-1358802341_thumb.jpg

Thanks Muddy. I have now ordered them. They came to just under £37 and am being taken to collect them on Thursday by the mechanic. The gearbox oil turned up today so at least that is hear, The gear box bell housing bung has been ordered too, my mechanic was supposed to buy one but couldn't locate a company with one, so what started out as £3.03 turned into £11.98 from brit-car to have one delivered on a 24 hour courier jobby, So will turn up on the day of the work.

Fingers crossed that the gear box is ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CJ1,

On Sunday I had much the same problem, I had to move the auto gearbox radiator back a bit to fit a winch, in doing this I cut the metal pipes to the gearbox radiator and replaced them with flexible pipes and jubilee clipped them on.

Its been over a year since I fitted the flexi pipes so forgot to keep an eye on them because they've never been a problem. The other day though one pipe came off on a dual carriageway, oil everywhere and I smoked out the road from oil on the exhaust (luckily the road was clear). I pulled over straight away and called a recovery guy.

Not realizing the problem, the recovery guy asked if I could drive it up the ramp, it had to get to stupidly high revs to change into 1st (rev counter broken but I've never herd it rev so hard!). almost flew through the cab of the truck when it did engage the gear!!!

anyway, took it straight to a garage and this morning he says the gearbox is knackered, they've brimmed the oil but it still revs stupidly high before engaging 1st (apparently reverse is alright).

The garage said they can't do auto boxes and have offered to tow it to my house just down the road where I can try and sort something else out with it.

I'm hoping its just that there's something the garage have overlooked and that the gearbox isn't knackered (it hasn't made any crunching/whining sounds the whole time and has only driven up the recovery truck's ramp).

If I manage to sort mine out I'll let everyone here know, if you sort yours out though would you let me know?

Best of luck!!!

Mine is fixed. But my car did still engage 1st just took 2500 rpm to move. However sounds like you were going a lot faster than me. Mine pipe blew properly when I was doing 20mph. Sounds to me like you need a new box. Mine was ok after a refill luckily.

You really dont have any luck!!!

However after reading your thread on your freelander and your thread here can i offer you some advice??

You need to slow down and read whats being said to you!!!

as stated in a previous post, the bung in the bell housing wasnt your problem, however you dismissed this.

you were told in more than 1 post about there only being 2 cooler pipes but contiuned to believe there were 4.

more than once you were told the likely problem but you dismissed this also.

if its lost any fluid, be it coolant, engine oil, gearbox oil dont drive it any further!! there is a chance you can find the leak, repair it, refill it and all will be ok. driving with fluid loss massively decreases this chance.

as i say listen to the guys on here, they have owned landrovers since the dawn of the series1 so they really do know what there talking about!!

Please dont take this as a pesonal attack on yourself,just trying to save you any further heartache.

And remember, you own a 18yr old land rover so you have to expect problems with it.

my advice would be to join a reputable breakdown company, for a small outlay, it will save you in the long run. as i say this isnt a personal attack on your good self, so please dont take it as so. :):):)

But I was right about there being more than 2 cooler pipes, there is 3 on the Auto's. Which is why I got confused. And as it turns out my gearbox isn't 100% ok. I will need to drain the ATF Fluid, fit the gearbox service kit and refill it to see if that solves the problem as today when I put my foot down the gears couldn't decide how to react or which gear to be in and kept jumping between either 2 and 3 or 3 and 4. I think it was 2 and 3.

I know that isn't a personal attack on me.

But I get frustrated when I am told lots of different things, and end up not knowing who to listen to.

But I get frustrated when I am told lots of different things, and end up not knowing who to listen to.

That is one of the downfalls of forums ....... actually not just forums life in general. Aspergers makes deciding which course of action to take immeasurably harder.

Personally I'd be inclined to write down all suggestions and go through them methodically and in what seems a logical order ticking them off as you try them or write down a good reason why you shouldn't try it. (The logical order will also be influenced by cost ;) )