Ifor Williams TT126/TT3621

BogMonster

It's slightly OT, but it will be towed by a LR and I want to know if it can carry a LR so what better place to ask...

I'm thinking of getting an Ifor Williams tipping trailer, the TT126 or rather the TT3621 model that replaced it.

Has anybody got experience of using these to transport vehicles? It isn't going to be the primary role, it will mainly be for carting rock, rubbish etc and secondly possibly to transport quad bikes, but I'd like to know how stable the tipper modesl are for transporting vehicles because that is one of the things that would sway me to spend a bit extra and get the 12' version rather than the 10' version. The tipper bed is quite a bit higher than the car transporter versions and I wondered what the stability is like with a LR perched on the top.

Secondly, they do 8' loading ramp options in both aluminium and steel. The steel ramps are rated at 3000kg, anybody know if the alli ramps are the same, or are they lightweight ones only suitable for smaller equipment? The - presumably lighter as well as more expensive - alli ramps appeal, but not if they can't take the weight of a vehicle or perhaps a minidigger. It's going to be a rare requirement, but might as well have the ability.

Tow mine on a run of the mill 16ft x 6ft6" ifor and it can get a good sway on at times. A mate one used his tipping trailer and after many brown trouser moments now refuses to do it so comes and borrows mine. I reckon its the height of the trailer thats making it very unstable with his 90 on the back. If i could afford it i would trade mine in for a 16ft low profile beavertail.

I have towed with a 12ft tipper both 90 and 110 and didn't have any brown trouser moments, yes the load is a little higher but just take it into consideration. They have changed the hinges on the new tippers and the bed looks to sit a little lower, possibly just as low as a standard flat.

The standard ramps may be 3000kg rated but I know lads that use them on a 16 ton agri plant trailer, I have seen a 6910 and 6920s on them without them even flinching and I have had the backend of a 6480 on them loading a barrel spreader onto afor mentioned 126 tipper.

I've not seen any Ali ramps on the trailers at work ( john deere, landrover and ifor dealership) however I will be getting some when a suitable trailer comes up.

Other things I would say are the 126 tipper I used to use only had 6 ft ramps and cars would catch but lady's were no probs, it also had a ladder rack and 110 with A bar was a very tight fit and needed the back door off. Also get no less than 8 interior lashing rings.

My 2p, Will.

I had a 10 x 5.5' TT105 - it was quite a bit higher to the load bed, 3-4" than the standard IW units. Had the steel ramps - as said they were heavy but robust, carried all sorts of things on it, the 90 was tight, but with the sides off and ladder rack off it was doable, Even had a 110 rolling chassis and pushing it with a David Brown 996 tractor once, was a bit top heavy but managed well.

Good trailer but heavy.

Steve

I have the TT126 and have towed with my 90 or Discovery loaded with not much difficulty, just have to remove the ladder bar for the Discovery. I've towed the 90 from Surrey to mid Wales a couple of times with no dramas, COG is higher but the trailer is still pretty stable. As above, it is heavy at nearly 1.2t plus with the 8' steel ramps but is strong and a great workhorse. Mini diggers, aggregates, rubble and Land Rovers no problem.

Thanks all. They quote 1000kg for the trailer so yes a heavy beast compared to my GD85 which is only about 500kg. Still thinking, but will probably have to get one I think. Road speeds here are low so not too much of an issue with stability hopefully, and vehicles are just a "maybe useful" rather than a "must have"

Just make sure you can put the car far enough forward on it for proper weight distribution. When we went to pick up my P38 with a friend's trailer, that seemed to be the main problem, the bumper was hitting the front plate before it was in the proper position...

Two 19mm bolts and the headboard will lift off, although you probably know that already BM.

Just rember if you fit a winch it needs to be on the chassis or you spectacularly tip the bed and don't get the vehicle very far.

Will.