Discovery Disaster - Now only three wheels!

Chilidog

The steering went very wobbly on our 200tdi at low speed and the NS front wheel collapsed - the hub had sheared off.

See attached pics.post-30782-0-32683300-1360493621_thumb.jpgpost-30782-0-61240200-1360493654_thumb.jpg

Firstly has anyone else experienced anything like this?

My thoughts are so far (although my garage has not given an opinion yet) that the best option would be to find a complete front axle as the cost of all the bits would make it uneconomical to repair.

The advice I am looking for is what axle can I fit? Does it need to come from a 200tdi manual or will other similar ones fit eg 300tdi or auto? or maybe just using the hubs etc of a different axle?

its a K reg 200tdi with a KA chassis number.

Any views & advice appreciated so I can get back on (& off)the road ASAP.

Thanks

Phil

First of all: kinell! Though, it's not the hub that's sheared, it's the bell of the brake disc. But very likely the hub will probably be buggered from such an event.

Second, I'd say: new hub, new pair of front discs, new stub axle, cv joint + gaskets, wheel bearings and related bits. It may be easier to find another front axle to swap, but if you put new bits on, then you know you have new bits.

But before all that: why has it failed? Bearing shagged? Sticking caliper? If you just put new bits on without sorting the underlying cause, you may end up doing the same again.

Will you be doing it yourself or paying garage labour rates and part markups?

Edit: having looked at it, it's the disc that's buggered and it looks like the CV has spun and sheared off as well. Looks like the disc has stopped dead: probably due to an old rusty sticky caliper, while the drive has kept going, resulting in what you have there. Impressive...

My bet would be a failed wheel bearing welded itself to the stub axle causing this to shear (CV could also weld and shear during this), this would have left the brake disk as the only thing holding your wheel on (that wobbly steering you noted). Obviously the brake disk isn't designed to hold a wheel on and then cracked dumping you on the floor.

I'm betting that wheel had been a bit 'rough' for a while.

At least you were going at a slow speed. High speed would have been very bad.

I agree with CwazyWabbit about the wheel bearing failure. That is the most likely scenario.

I know a friend who had a similar problem on an MGB where he didn't know that taper bearings are only meant to be as tight as they need to be, not tight until you can't tighten them any more. He was driving when suddenly the car lost a lot of power and was pulling to one side. Luckily it only scored the stub axle but the bearing welded itself together.

Hello, interesting failure.

I think it will be a "6 or 2x3's" scenario if you are getting a garage to do the work I would tend towards a repair, as all the bits are easily available.

A good land rover mechanic would be able to fix that in a day, a n other mechanic maybe a little longer but I'd go for a repair over an axle swap, if the axle case etc. is not damaged.

Mav

p.s. welcome to the forum by the way!!! aweswome first post!!!

Whereabouts are you ?

a decent set of s/h parts and a new Genuine wheel bearing would get you going - a complete s/h swivel assy would be

what you need as it'll have wrecked the following:

cv joint (maybe)

stub axle

wheel hub

Disc

outer drive shaft

wheel bearing and associated nuts/lockwasher/ring washer

If you are putting new stuff on then both new disc's must be fitted

.......and get the other 3 checked properly ;)

cheers

Steveb