Range Rover big wheel arches

v8bobber

evenin' all

I want to fit some bigger wheels and tyres to the Range Rover Tdi, 4 door, and get rid of the 245/70x16s that are there. I have seen some wheel arch extension kits, has anyone fitted them or seen the kits, and where can I get them / how much???

I reckon that I can get 235/85x16s on with a two inch lift, but what would be a sensible size to put on with these modded arches. How about 265/75 16s or do you reckon that they would be lost in the arches?

Thoughts please??

Dave

Devon 4x4 sell the Oz Rangie Spares arches which are easy enough to fit on a 3 door but the 5 door is a bit more involved cos' of the rear doors and the fact that you have to cut into the frame of the door.

Devon 4x4 also have an article on fitting them on their website: http://www.devon4x4.com/library/?articleid=8

You sometimes get them on Ebay as well. ;)

With a +2" lift and these arches then you should be able to fit upto a 33" tyre, although this may will effect the overall gearing of the Rangie and make it struggle up hills in high range. ;)

The Devon 4x4 arches are an absolute pig to fit to a four door. Trust me I have the scars to proove it. They do however look the business:

Bishtail0003.JPG

However, if you frequently encounter trees and other hard objects during your off roading I would advise agaisnt fitting these - they are fibreglass and are brittle. They have very little give before the crack. So unless you like fibreglass repairs and hours with the sander then either avoid trees or fit different arches.

If I was doing it again I wouldn't use these.

If you want to fit 235 x 85 you can do it with a 2" lift. You don't need major surgery to do it. The only mods you have to do is to fold over the leading edge of the rear arch where the door shuts. Otherwise it does a good job of slicing lugs off your tyres (ask me how I know :angry: )

There was a stand at the LRO show at malvern selling RRC/Disco arches rather like the D4x4/Rangie spares ones except these ones where flexible, more like the material that 90/110 arches are made from. They had one on display that was twisted through 180 °. IIRC they where about £150 a set. Sorry can't remember the name of the company selling them :rolleyes: But if yo have a show guide they where opposite Rebel Replicas.

Cheers for that, i had 235/85x16 MTs on the 90 and they were just about right for the amount of offroading I do, I reckon that unless you are doing winch events etc, you don't need massive tyres, i still trial on 750s!

Did you find that wheels fouled the arches at all when off road under articulation, assuming that I bend that lip over?

Dave

There was a stand at the LRO show at malvern selling RRC/Disco arches rather like the D4x4/Rangie spares ones except these ones where flexible, more like the material that 90/110 arches are made from. They had one on display that was twisted through 180 °. IIRC they where about £150 a set. Sorry can't remember the name of the company selling them :rolleyes: But if yo have a show guide they where opposite Rebel Replicas.

Gotcha, if I need to go down that route then that price and material seem alot more reasonable!

Cheers,

Dave

It might be these you are thinking of.

Innovation 4x4, Mark. At least that's who it was at Peterboghorror. A good idea but 240 quid a set IIRC.

I bought a set of their fibre glass flares at Billing they are up for sale :)http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7786

I was very interested in their new flares, the one at Malvern was a pre production, he was hoping to have the production ones ready for Billing this year <_< . The price I was quoted was £300+ still worth it if you do alot of offroading among tree's, not sure if they are available yet, when I spoke to him he was hoping to have them at Peterborough(?)