Britpart calipers

• 1 month later...
Good result on the front callipers! Before you disconnect the rears, just unbolt them and move them to one side - I have heard of Britpart callipers having misaligned bolt holes.

Old post revival!

Got round to bolting the rear calipers on today for a trial fit to the casing. Guess what, holes don't line up! Gonna email britpart and ask them just how they managed to get something like that wrong, doubt ill get a response though. :0

Yep. Why?

Just sent this to britpart, have to see if I get a reply.....

Hi, I bought a set of rear calipers part number smc500270/260. Unfortunately I mad the mistake of buying them 2nd hand but unused, still in the box. Obviously thinking there couldn't be much to go wrong with an unused pair of calipers, I was highly surprised to find that the mounting holes to the axle casing appear to have been miss drilled, they are probably 1mm out on either side meaning the bolts won't quite screw in.

Highly disappointing to say the least, but maybe i was lucky, if the mounting holes can't even be drilled correctly who knows the quality of the rest of the calipers.

Just looked like it from the photos, however from looking at other pictures on the web in various on line stores they all look a bit close.

With modern manufacturing techniques it seems strange that this would happen without it happening to lots of them.

Just looked like it from the photos, however from looking at other pictures on the web in various on line stores they all look a bit close.With modern manufacturing techniques it seems strange that this would happen without it happening to lots of them.

Who knows :)

The other issue with them is the holes aren't drilled as tightly as the originals, the bolt is definitely looser in the caliper. They'd probably be ok on an off roader, just need a little file, to fit. So think ill bang em on eBay, see if anyone's interested.

They're not the wrong kind of calipers for the axle are they?

You can't fit metric calipers to an imperial axle or vice versa, the bolts are slightly different sizes (ie. the difference between equivalent UNF and Metric widths) and I believe at slightly different spacings.

They're not the wrong kind of calipers for the axle are they?

You can't fit metric calipers to an imperial axle or vice versa, the bolts are slightly different sizes (ie. the difference between equivalent UNF and Metric widths) and I believe at slightly different spacings.

Don't think so I have both types of casing here and although I haven't tried it on the earlier casing, the earlier bolts are smaller diameter than the later bolts, so I'd definitely have an issue there.

A little OT but whilst on the supposed S*%tpart debate, I needed a new brake vacuum pump. So I started looking at prices, and found a Wabco at a very reasonable £83 +vat. BUT I had read some shocking reports of these pumps, not only from uk forums, but the more I delved, in LRZA and Aulro _(south Aff, and Aus) I found wabco pumps have a BAD name, But they are OE. So I phoned to place an order for the OE wabco, and the chap basically said they are STILL a prob. When (not if ) they are sent back, the suppliers don't really want to know. So I opted for a Britpart one at £50+vat, with a 2 year warranty NQA, and was told even if you come back after 2 years and 1 month , we'll still replace it. So long as it works, doesn't tick, doesn't leak, i'm a happy bunny. I went for a lucas TRW servo as well, as thats cracked x2. I'll let you know if's its tosh, but somehow I doubt it.

Well got a reply from britpart today, basically asking me for a batch number on the sticker on the box and a photo so sent those in and that they would check their stock. Not sure what that meant, but well see.

Here's a pic with the two calipers fastened together using a caliper bolt though the other hole, can just about see how much its out. Not loads, but enough :(

null.jpg

Well calipers came yesterday, they picked up the old ones too, fitted the axle no problems, hopefully ill get to pipe it up over the weekend and try it out, I imagine it could possibly be over braked at the rear at first but well see!