Start routine

Hi again

Sorry about the constant stupid questions but when starting my 1989 2.5 turbo diesel I turn ignition on and give it a second, then turn the key so the glow plug light comes on but I'm not sure what to do now. I've been told give it about 6 seconds then crank it over but other people have said wait for the light to go out before cranking, which is correct?

Also I've heard differing thoughts on whether or not to have my foot slightly on the throttle during starting.

Cheers

For any replies

P.s ill try and attach a pic to this thread

The light and glowplugs will just go out if you release the key on your engine. There is no timer, so unless you hold the key in the position, no heating will occur. You need to hold the key in the position where the glow plug light is on to preheat and the time is set by how long you hold it there for. On my old TD engine, it needed 15-25 seconds of preheating depending on the temperatures to get it to start. I doubt it would have started with only 6 seconds (mabe in the summer).

no such thing as a stupid question,

switch on, hold the key with the glowplug light on for 10 to 15 seconds, then turn key to crank/start engine, always worked for my old TD engine.

there is no timer unit in a TD glowplug system so if you hold the key at glowplug position the light will stay on until you actually fire the engine up , the light goes out as soon as you let got of the key or start engine.

Cheers guys

I knew about holding the key in position just wasn't sure how long for, if I hold for 6 seconds then it usually took 2 attempts at cranking, about 5 seconds each, to get started it was about 7 degrees today when I tried so next time I'll warm it for 12 seconds then.

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...