Simple winch question

Astro_Al

Hi guys, just a really simple question for those who are in the loop with modern winches.

My father is looking for something to go on the front of his Defender to pull logs / branches up a steep slope.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable quality / cost setup. Its only on his own land, and won't be needed much. I guess a mounting / bumper will be needed too (to save me making one). Presumably electric is the way to go for this - at what point do we need to look at split charging / dual batts? Do people just run a larger single battery for light / occasional use?

These won't be fat tree trunks - if it can't be corralled into position by a nearly 70-year-old, then he won't be moving it, so nothing huge needed.

Any other tips on technique / equipment to do this easily? Wheel chocks?

Ta, Al.

Phone Mr Bowyer. @ Goodwinch :)

He'll sort you out with which winch and a rope. A synthetic rope would be easier to handle, but not sure how long it would last if he's logging all day.

My centre winch is a TDS9.5 with bow2 and i run that just with a single battery (a 5.5 otpima though!) and a standard 100A alternator. I don't use it all day long but for short usage it's perfectly fine.

G

Hello there

Go for a winch tray which will mount at the front on top of the bumper through the 4 bumper bolts and possibly 2 more shorter bolts through the front of the bumper(2 holes to drill)there may also be 2 holes to drill on the top of the bumper. I think most if not all winches have the same 4 bolt design to mount to these trays.

As for the winch do a bit of research there's plenty of info out there, then decide.

I have had a TMax with a wire rope for about 5 years and have not had any bother with it, simple to strip down for a clean up and it lives outside all year round with a cover of course.

I just run it of a 663 battery with the LR running.

Hope this is of help.

Hi Bushwacker, I thank you for your input, in fact, as this isn't for me and my father doesn't care too much as long as it pulls some bits of wood up a slope, I'm going to leave the research there and just go buy it. Too many fish to fry to bother spending hours reading / researching / sorting for this.

Thanks anyway, I expect your input will be useful for others, but I'm taking the easy route on this one! I'm sure just about any reasonable winch will be more than adequate for his needs. Diminishing returns and all that...

Ta, Al.

As easy routes go Goodwinch is a safe bet as I see it :)

We've certainly given ours some high load work and it just sucks it up!

For a few light pulls I think a good quality standard battery will be fine with the engine running. Split charge is for working the winch hard.

Would it be worth thinking about a detatchable or tow ball mounting winch? I guess it depends on if he is able to hook it on and how often it is needed.

I have hauled logs with a 1500kg winch on the rear hitch of my car.

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

10-12" logs at 10' long up a stupidly sloped garden using all my winch rope and all my old tow ropes to reach them. Using a makeshift log arch there wasn't too great a load on the winch until the last 45deg 12' 'bump' up to ground level.

The winch is powerful enough on a single line pull to drag the car back over chocks and to lift the back end off the ground so I didn't need any more pulling power.

So I guess this is cheating? :P

post-10578-0-45797500-1363891044_thumb.jpg

Silliness aside, a loggers arch like Mr Train has there is a godsend when it comes to larger logs over uneven or soft ground. Without some form of lift at the front it'll just dig in and you won't get anywhere. Skidders on the back of tractors lift the front of the logs for the same reason, useful when you're extracting at full tree length.

Depending on the sort of conditions it'll be working in a wire rope may be better suited. Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here but when you're winching a load in to you the rope is moving so abrasion issues are going to be a bit more apparent than when you are winching yourself forwards and the rope is static.

Let us know how you get on. I do like seeing Land Rovers working in the woods, an ex-colleague of mine has a SIIA LWB pickup with a capstan winch on the front and it was great fun spending a day working with it. A bit like (I would imagine) being back in the 60s/70s :)