Help for Megasquirt????

player

Hi to all!

I am new here and this is my first post, i am from Greece and i have a Defender 3.9 with Lukas EFI.

My Defender is running perfect but i want some more fuell economy, smoothly run and maybe more power of the V8.

I think the Megajolt is the solution, but i want your opinion because you have try it, and test it hard so all of you know better then me!!!

Please give me your advice whatever it is, good or bad i will apprecciate it!

Regards

Megajolt is not really the solution you are after as it only controls the spark

To get better fuel economy and more power you really need to control the fuel input as well, for this you need Megasquirt

I would recommend a kit from Nige (Hybrid_from_Hell on here) http://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/

Hi,

you are right,... i was meant megasquirt as the title says! i wrote megajolt by mistake.

ok which ms are you Suggest to me? MS2 or MS3?

At the risk of being accused of spamming as I am Mr megasquirt v8 :D

Have a good look at : http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=55767

Have a look at this, its been built up by members here + me over time and its a fantastic resource

Also look at my website, link is in my signature

The key is what you are trying to achive and how much work and effort and money you are prepared to commit

MS1 is simple, proven, robust, relaible, and relatively cheap. Bare in mind ANY rover V8 is based on 1950s technolgy,

so MS3 is like putting slicks on your 5 year olds tricycle, ......pointless

MS2, yes its more advanced that MS1, but Windows Vista was more advanced than Windows XP .......... yep right :lol:

MS2 set up properly MIGHT outperform MS1

MS1 set up properly will outperform MS2 if its not 98%+ spot on and its less forgiving than MS1

MS1 is easier to learn and you can upgrade ECU to MS2 it uses the same PCB board (if you really wnat or need to) forget MS3

Oh,....... and your driving 2.5 tones or aerodynamic..... shed !!

Have a read of my website and the LR4x4 libnky above and ask away Q wise

Nige

Oh, and welcome, :D

MS2, yes its more advanced that MS1, but Windows Vista was more advanced than Windows XP .......... yep right :lol:

Vista was a major improvement over XP, and after a few teething problems were solved (with SP1), it became a proper replacement.

MS1 may work fine for a lot of people, but I'd like to see someone give MS2 or MS3 a go, and see how much more is possible with it.

I do have some plans re this

It's on the list

Ms1 is seriously stable robust in a billet proof way easy to Lear

And get to grips with Nd you can get S really good setup without

Having z guru at your side and cheapest

I am / have bedn looking at ms2

The key changes and benignity are you can program

The firmware ( beyond Me and most h others reading this)

Plus a higher number of ve cells for greater definition

But

Ms2 in my opinion has so many firmware options to have your head spin

Is far far far less good to learn from and do d firmware combos have

"Known issues" that can drive you insane ( been there )

But

Plans are a foot to see what ms1 can do on a rolling road session vs

Ms2

With a 1950s Buick engine base which is all combos of a rover v8

I am not expecting much if any gain for what will prob be far more

Cost complexity and grief

Time will tell

N

Hi guys, thank's for your replays.

Let me inform you for my plans.

I really love my Defender and it is my EVERY day car! So i want to give it an upgrade at the EFI system and wining better economy and better performance, it's ok i know Defender can't be a sport car, but i am sure it can run much better!!!

I want from MS to do what the Lukas EFI is doing and something more....

Stable operation

Drive electric fans

Drive A/C?

Drive heated windscreen

Drive auto gear box

Drive supercharger (maybe in the future!!!)

Has in the memory 3 maps one for every day economy drive, one for playing and sport drive, as it can be..., and one standard default map.

Frendly for the user and can change the map really easy!

About the installation i don't think what i will have any problem with the wirings and the hardware, the software....... it's a problem!

But i think with your help and your patience every problem can solved

At least i will try to keep the car in running condition for all the time of the installation.

I am with the majority - MS1 is more than good enough, and is simple enough to set up. MS2 is/was a bridge (test platform) to MS3, which is hugely complicated. Very well featured, for sure, but do you want 2x+ the cost and 5x the complexity in a Land Rover for very little real gain?

MS can drive extra outputs, but I think some of your ideas are off-piste... driving electric fans is no problem (I have 2-fan / 2-speed setup on mine), AC/windscreen do not really affect MS so there is nothing I would add, the PWM idle control should keep the engine ticking over when A/C or the heated screen are on.

Auto gear box does not matter to MS - if you want to *control* an electronic gearbox then you need something else, MegaShift or some aftermarket box.

Supercharger - no problem, as long as the boost doesn't go over 2.5 Bar then MS is ready for it, otherwise you can fit a different MAP sensor up to ~5 bar.

3 maps - you don't need them. MS can do 2 fuel / 2 ignition with a switch, but even then it is hard to make a big difference between them (usually the 2nd map is for LPG running) - a properly tuned map will give power and economy depending on how you drive.

Start by buying a kit form Nigel (megasquirtV8) and get the basics working, then you can go mad if you want to.

Thank's for your answers.

forgive me for my questions but really i don't know nothing about MS exept of what i have read in that site!!!

So i want to know as better i can for MS and be sure for my choices.

How many inputs and outputs has a MS1?

Can i upgrade a MS1 to MS2? I think at some versions it can be.

I was looking at Nigel's site and i was seen this.

RCBKThumb.jpg

This is to make the engine "waterproof" or this kit is doing something i can imagine??

On 3.9 v8 on the rear of the rocket box is a breather

That breather has to be relocated as it will let in water

And wreck the engine

The pic above is my solution for this issue and

Replaces the rocker breather with a remote unit

Nige

then, if you don't want to transform your LAND ROVER to a "sub-boat" :hysterical: you don't really need this part.

How many inputs and outputs has a MS1?

Can i upgrade a MS1 to MS2? I think at some versions it can be.

MS1 has about 8 spare input/output pins - I say "about" because the number depends on what you are using them for as some pins get shared for more than one thing, so you must chose one or the other. The bigger question is what you believe you need the IO for, so far you have not really said anything that suggests you need more than one or two pins for the standard fan control output?

MS1 can be upgraded to MS2 by plugging in the MS2 in place of the MS1 CPU and making some small modifications (basic soldering) to route power to the board.

I would repeat my suggestion that MS1 is more than capable enough for anything, people have run it on everything from lawnmowers to Rolls Royce Merlins.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using ms2 - mainly because it can drive the rover idle stepper motor - less to change. The biggest problem it getting anyone to talk to you other than to say 'use ms1' :)

I have not decided yet which version of ms i must use.I am still studying :rolleyes:

Your engine is a 3.9 V8?

With the standar stepper motor your idle is stable?

Ms2 is frendly to the user as the ms1?

mine is a 4.2. i've only spent 4 hours on the project so far and its running but i'm still gathering more info (like how many steps the stepper has). i've read somewhere the specs but can't find them now. ms2 seams perfectly friendly (if not more than ms1 - easier to calibrate and test sensors etc).

you basically are on your own with ms2 i think but it should be perfectly possible to get it running well.

mine is a 4.2. i've only spent 4 hours on the project so far and its running but i'm still gathering more info (like how many steps the stepper has). i've read somewhere the specs but can't find them now. ms2 seams perfectly friendly (if not more than ms1 - easier to calibrate and test sensors etc).

you basically are on your own with ms2 i think but it should be perfectly possible to get it running well.

I think the stepper motor has a range from 0-255 steps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, iam back again!

I have forgot to introduce myself, my name is Chris and iam from Greece.

I am reading the forum every day but i don't posting because my knowlege at megasquirt not exists....

Now, i have done a step forward with megasquirt, i decide and bought a MS II controller from an online shop in UK.

(I don't say the name of the shop because i don't know if i can)

The shop were i bought the MS kit must have a kind of partnership with Nige because all the brackets is writing mesquirt V8!!!! (by the way very good quality)

The owner of the shop is helping me very much and thank's him so much.

But also i want your knowledge and your advices too, at this forum the experience at MS systems is great.

I will appreciate any kind of help in my issues

Thank's Chris

Now lets give you a view of the car....

I use a MSII controller with version 3.2.1

a 36-1 trigger wheel

two coils on plug

my old stepper motor

a new wideband lambda with its controller

I have buy the full version of tunerstudio

I have complete all thew wirings and fit everything in the car.

I did the basic settings(i think all of them)

Adjust the timming with a timming light

The car is fired up!!! It works!!!

But it has some issues... now i really want your help :wacko:

1) My supplier advice me to use resistive spark plugs i use NGK BPR6ES and i have a set of BOSH PLATINUM PLUS code WR9DP

is that good enough?

2) The stepper motor is not running, the wires is right i checked. At the settings i have chosen "stepper moving" at idle settings

3) the motor is idling very high around 1400rpm's (i don't know how to get it lower)

4) the car is running very rich but i don't have deal with tunning yet...

5) the car is cranking for a while seconds until it fires up (maybe 10)

Thank's Chris

Some things will be affected by other things, so it is important not to panic and change something before the basic things are fixed.

If your stepper motor does not move (we assume it always worked before) then you need to check the Megasquirt wiring & configuration. I am not familiar with MS-II so can't tell you what might be the problem, but 90% of early install problems are the wiring!

High idle speed might be due to the stepper being wide open, ignore that until the stepper works & you can set idle properly.

Rich running is only a tuning problem - assuming all of the gauges in TunerStudio show the correct temperatures etc.

Stick with NGK plugs, the "R" means resistive. Fancy plugs often cause problems in RV8's so don't confuse things by fitting them before everything else works OK.

Cranking for a while can mean various things, you should be able to datalog the RPM or maybe even trigger wheel tooth-time to see if it is showing correctly. The ECU must see the missing tooth of the trigger wheel go past before it can know what the angle of the crank is, so it will always take +1 turn to start firing. It could be many things - VR sensor too far away (weak signal), incorrect timing, incorrect cranking settings, cranking fuelling, cold-start, etc. but DO NOT change everything all at once or you will only confuse things. Take backups of the settings when you make a change, and MAKE NOTES on what you changed and if it worked.

Hi,

my stepper motor was working before for sure, also i have two of them and i have tried the both, the only effect i can tell is when i connect for the first time is working for i time and after of that stops.

The wiring is checked wire by wire by the diagram sended of the supplier and seems to be fine.

I try the stepper with the "idle valve test" function of tunerstudio but nothing really happends..

thank's

Hi to all.

I had a little progress yestarday.

the stepper is working now.

I adjust the idle as the best i was can, now the motor is idling good enough and is drivable icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I drive it out for the first tunning... I drive about an hour in the city and highway and try to correct with tunerstudio live tunning, after tunning i think was a little better, but the car is still running very very rich.
When i accelarate and looking back from the miror a can see black smoke.
Now i think it must tune the engine as much good i can and after finished the adjustments for startup and idle.

Because, i can't understand the tables, please if somebody is pleased, i really need some help icon_confused.gif
I post my last MSQ and please if you have any adjustents to advice me please do...

thank's chris

lasttuning.msq