ibex 300 build

11 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Plastic radiators and all Ali for that matter don't last that well in daily higher mileage trucks. I'm doing 15k a year which is more than most do in 3 years, even the 110 does under 6k a year. So yes I do get through some parts, it seems very quickly.

Mike

I think it depends on the quality of the item. My daily does similar mileage a year, rattling along on sporty suspension and driven hard. The first rad did around 110k miles, only replaced thanks to a boil over and stat issue. 

9 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

What model radiator are you using Mike? 

Stock 200tdi disco radiator in a stock frame but with an electric fan. In the 6 years it's been on the road it's bust 2 cheap Ali rads and the previous brass rad that was very second hand but not leaking. It's my prior experience with plastic rads on various lr products that puts me off them.

• Like 1

Is the top of the rad held in place in the ibex? a friend had a td5 ibex and it had been built with out the support to hold the radiator in place and relied on the collant hoses to keep it in place, just wondering if this is the cause of your issues, as have never had a radiator fail in a 200 tdi 90 (over 100k but they were all brass rads) 

5 hours ago, Jon W said:

Is the top of the rad held in place in the ibex? a friend had a td5 ibex and it had been built with out the support to hold the radiator in place and relied on the collant hoses to keep it in place, just wondering if this is the cause of your issues, as have never had a radiator fail in a 200 tdi 90 (over 100k but they were all brass rads) 

The brass rad didn't fail it was bought second hand but was damaged with a small split. I soldered it up but clearly didn't get it clean enough as I spotted a small weep later. I've re-soldered it and it's fine.

The rad is in a standard frame fitted near enough the same as it would be in a disco. Original I built it with an eBay Ali rad, this split so I replaced it with another. This also split hence I got a brass rad from Stephen but this was tired so when I changed the engine I fitted the repaired mint rad. Hopefully it'll be fine for many miles.

Mike

• Like 2