Stainless exhaust pictures.

Sorry for delay Mickey. Stainless bits I ordered.

Although I notice I have a few spare bits in the garage! I think it's a spare 90 degree bend and a spare 500mm section that looks like it's had a bit nibbled off..

2 x Aluminised Universal hanging bracket that will support 45-65mm pipe diameters. (U724565)
2 x 90 degree bend with swaged 2.5 inch end. Centre Radius = 130mm. (U026390R)
2 x 500mm pipe with swaged 2.5 inch end (U016350R)
4 x Double end sleeve L=150mm (U066300R)
1 x Stepped sleeve 50.8-57-63.5mm (U076300R)
1 x SUPER Silencer box - Oval H=115mm / W=185mm / L=315mm (U316300R)

SUBTOTAL £ 152.31
POSTAGE £ 6.00
VAT £ 27.70
TOTAL £ 186.01

if you have to pay someone to weld it up then it probably won't work out much cheaper than a longlife system will it Ross?

thats a fair point, but try finding a 3inch straight through/high flow in SS for under £500/£600. :(

plus i need to get mine sorted as its a right mess of repaired section, i had to weld (badly, what other type of welding can i do. :lol: ) the centre box back on, and being a retro fit 300tdi, there are no off the shelf SS exhausts that fit.

thats a fair point, but try finding a 3inch straight through/high flow in SS for under £500/£600. :(

Griffin performance starts as 3 inch, has one silencer in the middle and then drops to a 63mm pipe after the silencer. It's about 450 quid

plus i need to get mine sorted as its a right mess of repaired section, i had to weld (badly, what other type of welding can i do. :lol: ) the centre box back on, and being a retro fit 300tdi, there are no off the shelf SS exhausts that fit.

Squeezing the pigeon too hard? :P

Squeezing the pigeon too hard? :P

either that or grip fill.. :SVA go away::hysterical:

I wouldn't have thought there were that many positions the engine could have ended up in .... what gearbox do you have?

R380+LT230, but many years ago, it went for a new exhaust and the LR garage complained about the fact they had to make a new section up as the standard one wouldn't fit :blink:

R380+LT230, but many years ago, it went for a new exhaust and the LR garage complained about the fact they had to make a new section up as the standard one wouldn't fit :blink:

I wonder if that means your LT230 has ended up in a different position? Does it have standard props do you think? Or it could just be the exhaust hangers are in a different place? Was it just the downpipe that was custom made?

I wonder if that means your LT230 has ended up in a different position? Does it have standard props do you think? Or it could just be the exhaust hangers are in a different place? Was it just the downpipe that was custom made?

im not 100% sure, i think it was the downpipe that had to be modified, judging by the looks of it... :blink: i'll have a look tomorrow and maybe post some photos to show what i mean.

(on an off topic note, can you PM the price to change the millage on td5 clocks please? :) )

Will be interesting to see the mod that has been done, might also be worth measuring the location of your engine mounts (distance from front cross member would be a good datum) I can compare them to mine which does take a standard 300 tdi exhaust.

You have a PM ;)

The "too big" thing is a bit of a myth actually.

A turbocharger works optimally with minimal back pressure. A 4" stack off the back of the turbine housing and straight thru the bonnet would be optimal in terms of efficiency and flow. It will spool up faster and produce more power with less heat. Rather inconvenient though!

The typical approach is to go BIG immediately after the turbo, so a 3" downpipe, then once you get further away from the engine you can drop down to 2.5". I assume this is because as the gasses pass along they're cooling down, and thus take up less space.

There are two slight caveats however.

If you take an old worn out turbo, and remove all the back pressure, it can prompt the seals to start leaking, ofcourse thats simply because the turbos knackered, and the reduced backpressure means its easier for the oil to leak out past the rings into the turbine housing.

Also, if the vehicle isnt tuned properly, the reduction in back pressure and faster spool up can mean the turbo spools much quicker than the ECU expects, and this causes an overboost condition. In reality this isnt a concern on a defender engine, becasue the wastegate is not ECU controlled. On engines with an ECU controlled wastegate actuator, the ECU typically clamps the actuator closed until target boost is reached, then opens it. This maximises spool up and reduces lag. The problem is the ECU needs to know what to expect, and while it has a PID loop to correct things it will still initially overshoot if you make the turbo spool much quicker. In these situations, you can either retune the ECU's wastegate algorithms (assuming you have enough data on the ECU to access them!) or install a manual boost controller in parallel with the ECU controlled valve and use this to set an upper limit on boost. On a traditional setup like the defender however, the boost regulation is entirely mechanical, it simply cant overboost because the wastegate would immediately open.

I was told 3inch was too big. You can go too big, mess up flow after the turbo and end up melting your turbo IIRC.

Maybe that is why the Griffin one reduces after the silencer? I had assumed it was to get it around all the tight bends around the back axle?

If I get a chance I'll ask James. Although I've not heard any complaints of melted turbos from his exhausts.

Also A friend of Simon Smith ran a straight through 3 inch pipe successfully from what I remember, I'll check with him.

If you fitted the R380/LT230 onto the original LT77 mounts, the motor would sit about 2" back from where it does normally in a "proper" 300tdi, so the exhuast would need shortened a little to fit?

If you fitted the R380/LT230 onto the original LT77 mounts, the motor would sit about 2" back from where it does normally in a "proper" 300tdi, so the exhuast would need shortened a little to fit?

Would that mean custom radiator and oil cooler pipes? or would 200 tdi ones fit? I wonder how that works with the gearbox tunnel?

i suspect you'd need custom pipes, or at least extend the 300 ones by that 2"

The 200tdi sits much further back because the bellhousings very short as well as the mounts being 2" further back, so 200tdi pipes wouldnt fit.

You'd probably use the LT77 tunnel as the gearbox is sitting further back, and the hole for the shifter wouldnt line up if you tried to use the R380 tunnel?

Although I notice I have a few spare bits in the garage! I think it's a spare 90 degree bend and a spare 500mm section that looks like it's had a bit nibbled off..

2 x Aluminised Universal hanging bracket that will support 45-65mm pipe diameters. (U724565)

SUBTOTAL £ 152.31

POSTAGE £ 6.00

VAT £ 27.70

TOTAL £ 186.01

I would say that is pretty reasonable really :)

SUBTOTAL £ 152.31

POSTAGE £ 6.00

VAT £ 27.70

TOTAL £ 186.01

Just as a clarification are these push together or weld together parts? I think they are all push together so no need to weld, if that is the case what did you do to connect to the turbo?

some great info guys. keep it coming! :i-m_so_happy:

now its picture time!! :D

1st is a kink, looks worse in reality probably about an inch width.

post-30771-0-52217800-1366391730_thumb.jpg

3 repairs on the centre box (inc mine)

post-30771-0-44678900-1366391733_thumb.jpg

repair section.

post-30771-0-84208400-1366391735_thumb.jpg

another repair

post-30771-0-34081100-1366391738_thumb.jpg

large pigeon turd puddle weld

post-30771-0-89639800-1366391740_thumb.jpg

3 cut and shuts..

post-30771-0-70230500-1366391743_thumb.jpg

anyone else agree i need a new exhaust? lol and from from cross member to crank pulley is 6inchs :)