Speedo Drive Pinion

Hi all, I know that LR speedos are not known for their accuracy, however was going down to Cornwall earlier and my 3 year old son wanted the television screen with the roads on (satnav) started so he could see the roads changing colour. What I was more concerned about (as I knew the way!) was how far my speedo was out by the satnav. At an indicated 70mph, I was only doing a satnav indicated 60mph.

I know there are different pinions for the speedo drive in the transfer box and know that I have the blue one fitted as I have 235/85 tyres fitted. Whats the options on other colour pinions to gain some accuracy back - I am not expecting it to be perfect, but slightly better would be nice!

Toby

I know he has the blue which is correct for the tyre size fitted, I've had 7.50's & 235's on my 110 without any speedo indication problems, the only other bit is the gear the speedo drive is driven by, on the shaft

it could be down to the tyre diameter as Retro suggests.

Hi thanks for the replies. The tyres are all Goodyear MTR, about half worn evenly all round. The transfer box is a discovery 1.22 and the speedo is the original and most steady reading land rover speedo I have had (other than it reading wrong!) I used to remember the various pinions, but have forgotton, just wondered if changinging back to the normal 205/16 one would give a better reading. I might have to get my calculator out!!!

Toby

I forgot to mention that I have the NAS type speedo cable fitted (two sections) so the road speed transducer for the EFI can be fitted. I would have thought that this was driven straight through and not reduced giving a slower cable speed. I may have to check that!

Toby

I forgot to mention that I have the NAS type speedo cable fitted (two sections) so the road speed transducer for the EFI can be fitted. I would have thought that this was driven straight through and not reduced giving a slower cable speed. I may have to check that!

Toby

Yes its just a straight thru pulse generator I had same on my 110 for going efi