Another Brake Question!

A little while ago I replaced the front discs and pads on my 90, at the same time I fitted some rebuilt calipers.

All appeared fine, however on a couple of occassions the pedal felt like it went down further with the brakes feeling less effective. If I released the brake pedal and pressed again it did feel better/firmer.

• Bled brakes, practically no air came out.
  • Checked for leaks with SWMBO pressing on the pedal, I have also monitored the reservoir level and it hasn't dropped.
  • The flexi hoses are not 'bulging' under pressure
  • The rear drum brakes are adjusted correctly.
  • There is no play in the wheel bearings.
  • Pressing on the pedal and starting the engine results in the pedal dropping slightly - servo ok?
  • Discs and Pads are Mintex items and calipers were rebuilt with stainless pistons and genuine seals.

For obvious reasons I am a little concerned about this. I'm starting to suspect the master cylinder, but wanted to get some opinions on this? Would a failing master cylinder seal mean loss of brake fluid?

Reading the 'how to' article on here about overhauling the master cylinder, it is recommended to go for a genuine kit. However, I see a TRW/Lucas Master Cylinder is around £60 and with a genuine overhaul kit coming in at almost £40 (http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/90765/5497/brake_master_cyl_o_haul_kit_def) I guess I would be better off just buying the Master Cylinder?

Could be master cylinder - the seals inside might have picked up a little damage if you bled the brakes by pumping the pedal rather than using a vacuum or pressure bleeder.

Could be caused by a slight ridge on the cylinder where the pushrod normally goes back and forth - going beyond this when pumping the pedal may damage an old seal very slightly

Could be master cylinder - the seals inside might have picked up a little damage if you bled the brakes by pumping the pedal rather than using a vacuum or pressure bleeder.

Could be caused by a slight ridge on the cylinder where the pushrod normally goes back and forth - going beyond this when pumping the pedal may damage an old seal very slightly

I did indeed bleed the brakes by pumping the pedal, so perhaps you are on to something there.

So what do you folks think is best - rebuild the 'Girling' master cylinder with genuine bits? Or, spend about £25 more and buy a brand new TRW master cylinder?

Definitely a new master cylinder, the bores do get worn and there may also be bits of corrosion and debris in the ends of the bores - put a new seal in, pump the pedal to bleed the brakes again and you're back to square one.

If you do fit a new master you need to bench bleed it first or get the car on an angle to get all the air out - plenty of info on the web.

• 1 month later...

Quick update - new master cylinder seems to have sorted it. Predictable braking is back! :hysterical:

Got myself an eezi bleed kit and I'm impressed but was wondering do you guys clean/flush out the kit after use?

Shouldn't have too, but I would, with water. Then I'd dry it and leave it with rag in there to soak up any oil. Putting water in there isn't good, (bad in fact) but I wouldn't expect a new one to be as good as one from 20 year ago, when you could put all sorts into plastic ;)

A big syringe worked well to suck the oil through. I tried it for the first time the other day, as recommended on here. :)

I have had the same as this, never solved the problem. Put disco axles on and it didnt change so that confirmed that it wasnt 1 of the 3 pairs of calipers I rebuilt. Took truck to spray shop went to pick it up yesterday and master cylinder is empty. Must be a very tiny leak I preaume if fluid goes out airxcan go in? It has new master new servo new calipers and pads cleaned out the G valve thing that sits on the chassis under master. That was full of gunk and the ball didnt move. Going to put some fluid in and leave for a few days, I hear spraying deodorant can show you where a small leak of oil is as it has chalk in it. Another useless bit of infomation that came in handy in the Sahara to find a leak :)

Underside of my landrover clean... chances of that are fairly slim.i have a had a look at all callipera when I changed wheels after respray and could not see any signs of leaks... dont thik there is any fluid to leak out any more. I tjough the master cylinder was splir for front and back but matbe new ones are not thw same? I will see tommorow. Going to buy a eazi bleed now :)