Hoping to get back behind the wheel of a Discovery and need some advic

CJ1

Hi, I know a lot of members will know me from having 2 Freelanders and an Auto diesel Discovery which another member on here bought.

Since the last time of being on here my circumstances have changed for the better, and I am in a position now where owning a Discovery that needs constant love is not a problem for me. I am now a business partner in a mechanics business, although welding is not one of things the business covers.

I used to do welding over 8 years ago, but cannot physically do it anymore. But I am looking at and have agreed a deal for a P reg Discovery 300tdi Manual with high miles, it has a shortish MOT and Tax, but I am planning on getting it re-mot'd before I put it on the road. The problem is, The sills, front inner arches and I think the boot floor need welding for the next MOT and I am wanting to get it all done properly.

Where do I get all the panels from please?

I am planning on cutting out all the rotten parts ready for whoever I end up using to weld in the new parts.

All help and advice is really appreciated.

Cheers

simples - YRM metal solutions. Do yourself a favour though, if you want it to last a while, then strip all the rear end interior trim out and inspect the inner rear quarter panels for rot, odds are they will be starting to rust by now (both of mine have had it in this area). Downside is that you will need to fabricate repair sections :(

Have a look at my thread in my signature to see how far the rot can get and be prepared.

If you are planning on keeping it for a long time, then do it properly once the test has run out. Use the last couple of months to decide what else can be done while it's not in daily use.

if you want it to last a while, then strip all the rear end interior trim out and inspect the inner rear quarter panels for rot, odds are they will be starting to rust by now (both of mine have had it in this area). Downside is that you will need to fabricate repair sections :(

with fear of being acccused of swearing, b**tp**t :o do rear quarter panels,non mechanical and can be treated with whatever you like so maybe worth a punt?

Thanks. I am planning on keeping it long term, and got a little bit of the info wrong. The boot floor has been done, 2 small plates are needed on the chassis and under the bonnet and wheel arches need doing according to the current owner.

And I will be making sure everything is done properly to last.

simples - YRM metal solutions. Do yourself a favour though, if you want it to last a while, then strip all the rear end interior trim out and inspect the inner rear quarter panels for rot, odds are they will be starting to rust by now (both of mine have had it in this area). Downside is that you will need to fabricate repair sections :(

Have a look at my thread in my signature to see how far the rot can get and be prepared.

If you are planning on keeping it for a long time, then do it properly once the test has run out. Use the last couple of months to decide what else can be done while it's not in daily use.

I can't see a link in your signature.

Being honest, I am taking this Discovery on blind. I have no idea yet what it is like. I haven't even seen a picture of it yet. I will be getting pictures tomorrow and will hopefully be taking delivery of it by the end of the week. And I am swapping a Mondeo for it.

Be prepared to find horrors such as this:

post-25095-0-44527000-1368087293_thumb.jpg

and this

post-25095-0-35380800-1368087441_thumb.jpg

not to mention

post-25095-0-65347400-1368087557_thumb.jpg

i've just spent the best part of 6 months relaxing rust with metal. You may be opening a whole new can of worms.

I would recommend YRM as well.

Also if the sills need doing ( mine did ) replace them with box section.

There was a guy on eBay selling a very good fit heavy duty sill replacements.

Hi CJ1,

Out of interest where are you based in East Sussex? I am originally from Brighton but have family/friends all over Sussex. I would have loved to have helped you out with the welding on the Disco but since moving to Wales I am a bit far away now.

I would certainly say the Disco is one on the easier cars I have welded up and also the most enjoyable to see the end result.

Good luck with it.

Mark.

Thank you everyone for the advice, Mark Adams I am near Rye.

No matter what happens, even if I don't end up with this particular Discovery, I will be buying one that needs work asap. I currently have 2 Mondeo's, 1 estate that is my everyday car until I get a Discovery on the road, and I have a 2001 51 Ghia X Hatchback 2.0 Petrol that I have up for sale or will swap it for a Discovery.

Good luck with it lol...

As Al and the rest of the guys have said, strip it out and cut out all the rust, prime, paint, wax, seal as much as you can. YRM are the job ok, but it will add up. Some of the perts can be fabbed up by a competant sheet metal man for very little £ if you know of one locally.

Steve

The guy was a total time waster! He was due at between 12pm and 1pm and never arrived, I sent a message at about 2.30pm as I had no number for him although he had a number for me, and he sent a message at 5.15pm to say that he had an argument with his wife and that she didn't want them to get rid of the Discovery even though the Advert stated that she hated it and was forcing him to sell it.

So I am now hunting again. I have sort of found one not too far from me that I will be bidding on but we shall see what happens. But thank you for all the advice. Thanks to the above I am not afraid of going after one that needs welding.

I now have a green discovery outside my house :i-m_so_happy::D It is the one I posted pictures of on last post. I didn't end up paying £510 for it. I part exchanged my Mondeo V6 Estate for it and gave £200 cash on top plus taxing it at £123. With the 75p included in the £200 cash. And drove it away. Saved me the grief of selling the Mondeo and I have never been soo happy driving a disco.

The rust doesn't appear to be as bad as I was imagining, There is slight play in the steering, the horn doesn't work, car shakes at over 70mph on the front, 1 bulb is out, the gear stick rests on the left rather than in the middle so finding 3rd sometimes isn't easy yet :rolleyes: A little bit tatty, windscreen lets wind through, but No gear crunching, No smoke, heating works properly, no water or oil loss. So I will be starting a proper diary again soon. Wednesday has been set aside with my mechanic to go over her in detail and I will be booking a welder to come out and assess what work it needs.