Dim Dip Resistor - Anyone know the value ?

Normal dip will be much safer for you & others to see you, especially in foggy conditions, Dim dip was meant to be used in built up areas to make the vehicle more visible to pedestrians,

I can't find the dim dip resistor I had, doubt it'll be 100watts value as it's meant to reduce current to make dip beam 10% of normal dip beam hence dim dip.

You could work it out if you knew how many volts it was supposed to drop accross it. If you assumed it was dropping 12v (it won't be as you'll have to drop some across the bulb!) the power would be Volts x Amps, to work out the amps we could use ohms law so 12V / 1 ohm = 12 Amps that would mean the power was 12 x 12 = 144watt ...... but to do a meaningful calculation we either need to know the resistnce of the bulbs or the expected voltage drop accross the resistor.

This sort of goes back to the other thread where everything with my lights was shagged. 3 faults and i'm not sure anything is/was wired up correctly. What I can tell you is I have "main beam" and "high beam". So by dipped you mean "main beam" ? Right ?

IIRC.....

On the lights lever :-

First click brings on side lights and Dim Dip (not functioning)

Second click brings on Main Beam.

Only moving the indicator stalk turns on High Beam and only when the lever is on second click

That sound correct ?

Driving round here they want side lights mostly. Been told off for Main Beam. Only the little side lights on the Land Rover are very small....so I've been told off for that as well ! So the need for Dim dip.....

The Police are mostly OK but I get stopped three times a day for side lights and once per day for main beam if I put them on. Never been fined though ! So at the moment its the lesser of two evils....When Dim Dip was working I never got stopped !

Dip beam is normal UK night time driving headlights 2bd position of main light switch [short stalk] with side/tail lights on

Main or Full beam is the headlight stalk forward & the blue headlight light on the dash on

I've found this photo of the resistor & blown up a crop of the printed details on it, what they mean I've no idea but it does state 5%

Plus EU made UK repeal the dim dip regs, more likely Spain are enforcing day time running lights, which your & ever other pre 2007 Defender do not have.

post-20-0-91133000-1368310774_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-91138600-1368310777_thumb.jpg

Edited by western

They are a bit bright for their sensitive eyes,,,,, :blink:

Nothing new there as no matter what configuration, setting, adjustment was done in Africa ALL drivers flashed, honked or otherwise no matter that lights I had on. They are so used to driving with nothing on, ever, that they would certainly have no night vision left no matter what lights I had on. I swapped my lights from UK to Euro and back a few times and had them pointing almost directly down in the end so they were pretty useless. They still moaned ! I'm running LHD lights now again and they are set up very low and very right

I don't drive at night but sometimes we drive to the market and so the night time issue in certain places. Here it just silly daytime lights and ffing police.

So not wired up wrongly as far as I can now tell. Everything seems fine with the lights once the resistor is in. I've now bodged it again. Its deffo a 1 ohm but now showing 1.2 Ohm on my meter (was 400Kohm until bodged). If I can get a 100watt in the store I'll swap it out. I just need to monitor the temp of the resistor to check its safe once Its swapped. Don't want another fire as it costs money to re-fill the extinguisher ! :ph34r:

I really can't understand them complaining if the headlights are wired up as standard, you have standard wattage bulbs (55/60W) and they're aimed correctly. From what you say, it sounds like you can't use headlights at night, which can't be right. Are you sure the wiring isn't shorting out so that you have main beam as well as dipped when the stalk is selected to dip? That would be dazzling to other drivers, as would faulty mountings that allow the lenses to move and aim up to high while driving.

Once upone a time they were shorting but that just blew the fuse for the dipped beam. Everything is fine with wiring and lights its just there are moaning ffing foreigners who don't understand what lights, indicators, hazzards or horns are for !

Hazzards on = i'm going to turn, left or right (you have to guess which way,,, or what they are doing and its never what you think !)

Hazzards on = I'm a Taxi or Bus and I might stop in the next 100km

I'm doing anything = Honk Horn

I'm a taxi = Honk Horn

I'm here = Honk Horn

I'm annoyed = Honk Horn

I'm slowing or turning or doing something else = random indicator. left or right and I've never figured this one out.

Flash Lights = I'm coming and you are going to stop or I will run into you

Flash Lights = You have you lights on and I don' really think you should

Flash Lights = You don't have you lights on and you should

Flash Lights = Police up ahead

Flash Lights = I'm a Taxi does the person on the side of the road want a lift

No lights = they are broken

The most dangerous use.....

Right Hand Indicator = I'm turning Left or Don't overtake me.

Right Hand Indicator = Its clear up ahead so Please overtake me = We nearly we killed by this one in Ethiopia....

As you might tell. Nothing they do corresponds to normal road sense and it varies by country / region in the country. The Hazzards and Indicators have not been used correctly since Europe / South Africa.

Oh I missed..

Left hand Indicator = Please Overatke me / Its safe to pass.

Left hand Indicator = I'm turning left / Its not safe to pass.