Oil Sump Protection ?

tuko

Yesterday was our local club's first open day for the year, where my mate and I had to attend making like were having fun... :hysterical: Of course we did, we stayed away from all the established tracks, making our own. BUT by doing so my oil pan took a beating: DSC_0341_Medium.jpg

Finally to the point where I put a hole through it. As soon as the oil pressure light lite, I stopped the engine and checked finding that I was spilling oil out the bottom of the pan. Thankfully turning off the motor quickly save the day.

Once home (David towed me the 110 km's) I removed the oil pan from the spare motor and installed that.

So now I'm at the point of wondering what others are using for oil pan protection on their hybrids? I'm of the idea of having a full plate (6mm) under the oil pan that is eventually bolted on by means of the two lower motor mount bolts which are easy to get at from underneath.

In the mean time here are some pictures from yesterday in Oskarshamn, Sweden: http://www.tukojack.com/blogggallery/index.php?level=album&id=15

Cheers,
Todd.

Tuko, as a first comment, great effort :SVA go away: .

I did exactly that in Russia, it didn't quite puncture, but effectively blanked off the sif, reducing the oilflow to the oilpump, leading to eventual failure of a main bearing, days later.

I have since then created a sump with tripple skin (skins from other sumps cut up)and extra ribbing on the inside to increase strength. In hindsight, it wasnt a great job, because the sump is made of 2 thin skins, which is a pain to weld. I did look at an additional guard, but it is pretty close to my PTO shaft and exhaust, so I havent really got on with it, but still might do.

Daan

Thanks Daan,

I have a spare steering guard that I'm thinking of cutting up for the skid plate under the oil sump. I'm basically concerned if there will be any issues by using the lower motor mount bolts on the cylinder block? If there are no known issues from others, then I'm thinking of dropping straight down from the motor mount bolts and welding a shovel type plate to protect the oil sump. :i-m_so_happy:

Todd.

This picture for inspiration:

http://www.offroad-armory.com/store/image/cache/data/sump-guard-500x500.jpg

The problem with this is that stones can get trapped in between, which is going to make matters worse when it gets hit. You can fill in the void with expanding foam or some kind of foamy rubber sort of thing, which then might compromise cooling. It depends if you have an oil cooler.

Daan

Dann,

I'm thinking along the same lines. The oil pan has an outer lip and the bolts are short M10's so that why I'm considering another mounting point. The 4 motor mount bolts are M16 and screw into the block 20mm. I'm figuring that if I use 6mm plate, the 14mm of bolt in the block shouldn't affect the integrity of the motor mount.

Todd.

Cool timing on this topic as I did this to My sump (200 tdi) last year at kov.

I was lucky and its want a huge hit a managed to miss the oil pickup etc and carried on running with no side affects.

I replaced the sump with spare from one of my other engines.

I was going to make a guard like the one above.. then as thought the sump was steel i changed my mind and planed to just weld a 6mm steel plate to the bottom of it....

But maybe a guard is an easier way forward after all

I didn't think sump damage was a problem on LR's as the front axle gives protection, how are you all getting this problem? Do any of you know what caused the damage?

This is how far I've gotten with the sump guard which I made from an old steering guard that I had saved:

post-194-0-84478200-1369116769_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-67494100-1369116790_thumb.jpg

This will bolt on to the 2 lower motor mount bolts on each side of the block. The M16 bolts were shorter than the holes on the block so I'll be changing them out for longer at the same time. Later today I'll do some trimming and drill a few holes to lessen the weight of the sump guard before paint.

Todd.

The Oil sump guard is done and fits nicely. :)

Bolted on by means of the 2 lower motor mount bolts. I did change them out for longer bolts to compensate for the additional spacing from the 6mm plate.

post-194-0-13458600-1369554710_thumb.jpg

Todd.