Removing broken taps and screws

mickeyw

We've had discussions on here in the past about this problem, and many have suggested alternative methods to the costly, and not always convenient EDM process.

While nosing on our favourite auction site I encountered this, basically a portable EDM device.

It is still an expensive bit of kit, but it presents options for spark erosion without having to fit whatever you have into the EDM tank, or even having to fully dismantle and clean the work piece before and after. It runs single phase and could for instance be set up in your garage, or even engine bay!

Despite coming from a toolmaking background, I hadn't seen one of these, so thought I would share my find.

Spart eroders are awsome bits of kit but they dont like working at great depths. As i found out when the £15K trasnformer blew on an industrial 4inch unit i happened to be working on with a sub :hysterical:

The American contractor didnt see the funny side when the smoke and blue sparks came out of it. But i couldnt stop laughing :blink:

Perfect to exh studs and head bolts you just cant get out.

I like that. In the past when pins have broken at work I've had to take the tool to the local tool maker to get the pin out. That would do it ... and my jobs :)

That said I've been trying to get them to buy a hurco that one of the tool makers is trying to sell as they've upgraded to a cnc, the hurco is cheaper than the ebay gadget :)

That said I've been trying to get them to buy a hurco that one of the tool makers is trying to sell as they've upgraded to a cnc, the hurco is cheaper than the ebay gadget :)

I had trouble trying to give the one away that Zoltan is referring to. Gone now though.

Yeah it's a food machine but he's had it sat around ages. He had a bridgeport turret mill too that he had to fet rid of to make space for the xnc aparker but that went within days, didn't even get chance to look at it :(

High frequency spark generator (full wave rectify 12v AC to give 100Hz and feed it in to an ignition coil / suitable transformer). Connect between a brass bar and the workpiece.

I'm sure commercial ones are more complicated, but at it's simplest it's just vapourising bits of metal with a spark!

Si