Tyre valves

Hi - hope everyone is enjoying long weekend :)

Woke up this morning to a flat front tyre.

Pumped it up enough to get to tyre chain place.

Very enthusiastic Landry guy said cant help as my 1995 ex mod 110 has old size values? He said 22 mm. Google says modern valves are 11.5 mm but I can't find 22mm is this size correct?

I need a new set of Michelin zxl anyway but he said they can sort if I bring my own valves. Don't want to change the wheels tbh just for the valves.

Anyone know when or what to get? They are standard army wheels ones before wolf ones.

Any pointers to good suppliers or zxl tyres also appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for feedback :)

Which inner tubes would work? Any draw backs on inner tubes?

Also was looking at the wheel at 5am as you do. And it is the valve that's leaking the air I could here it coming out around the base. The spare which was flat when I got the truck does the same on inflation. It's been in a hot climate I wonder if the

Valves have perished. They have been painted green :)

The largest 'rim hole' is 16mm on the site above which I think is that he means. Going to call and ask today. And measure hole.

Now need to source some tyres too as a couple of mine look like they have been attacked with scissors!

Thanks again

TAffia

I think the tyre fitter means the length of the valve core - 22mm long core would indicate that you have tubes fitted, but the easiest way to check is to push on the head of the valve when the tyre is deflated - if it freely moves into the rim then you've got tubes, if it's firmly affixed to the rim then chances are your tyres are tubeless

If as you say, they are ex military pre wolf rims, then they are not Tubeless type rims, so they should have innertubes fitted because the rims do not have a 'safety bead'.

Cheap innertubes are often not very thick and are prone to chafing punctures caused by the rougher inside surface of modern tyres. Michelin Airstop innertubes are widely accepted as being the best. I have never had a chafing type puncture using these tubes.

It is vital that all traces of stickers are removed from the inside of new tyres before fitment though.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff.

Hi,

In the interest of finishing the story so that future 'Landy Lovers' may benefit from these bits of wisdom.

Here are pics of my tyre and valve:

MOD Defender 110 Wheel NOT Wolf 1

MOD Defender 110 Wheel NOT Wolf 2

Points from above.
1. They are not inner tubes - they are tubeless.
2. I hope (fingers crossed) that these are in fact TR415 Snap-in-Valves - 32mm length, 15.7mm rim hole - today's standard is 11.5mm which is why your local garage may not have the right valves which is where this all started in my case anyway!
Question - what are these wheels for future reference its a 1995 110? (I think they are ANR1534PM - which are the 1 Ton steels found on 130's and Rapier)
So armed with the above I am currently looking for new tyres! XZL or Avon RangeMaster are my top two at the moment - thinking of getting all 4 sorted at the same time (after I ebay a kidney or two)
Will update once fitted and I can confirm all the above!
Thanks
Taffia

Hi Daan

From more googling I am coming to the same conclusion. truck is straight from mod so as is September 2012. Interesting that they have been running xzl without tubes on these wheels.

If I get 4 new xzl tyres I need some inner tubes then. Do inner tubes have differant Vale sizes too I wonder or do you need those flange things?

Boy are wheels and tyres an interesting area ;)

Thanks everyone,

I do find it a little strange that this came straight out of MOD with XZL's on without tubes on these wheels and I have been driving it since January without any probs - only light road use mind while I do all the other little bits.

But I realise how dangerous it could be running these without inner tubes when I start off roading proper etc etc.

Hunting Tyres today and Inner Tubes with TR415 value sizes - from the links above I think.

Will post a final entry once this is concluded ;)

Thanks

Taffia

I'd be more worried about the lack of tube on the road than off road.

There's quite a lot of force put into the tyres when cornering hard at speed on the road, the lack of a stop bead could result in a rapid tyre deflation, couldn't it?

I'd be more worried about the lack of tube on the road than off road.

There's quite a lot of force put into the tyres when cornering hard at speed on the road, the lack of a stop bead could result in a rapid tyre deflation, couldn't it?

Yes - got me worried now :unsure: Not driving it until sorted anyway!

BUT as its a 2.5 NA the bit about speed may not be so relevant!!!

Surprised this is the first time I have had a prob - oh well - leant more about tyres - just need to go shopping for tyres and inner tubes on the weekend now!