Introducing the Santana 6 cylinder engine

o_teunico

I want to show this engine so members from outside Spain can appreciate it, as it was a Santana development and never used by Solihull.

Santana engineers added two extra cylinders to the 2.25 four pot design. Santana even turbocharged it (prototype only). If used by Solihull, it could have ended as a 3.5 Tdi in late 80's.

The unit pictured came from the "Cazorla" (top of the range Santana model in 1979, a six cylinder 109" SW) that we salvaged 10 years ago. Whe have never fired it and the idea was to use its starter motor, clutch, ISA gearbox and axles as bulletproof HD units for our 2.25 88".

First, a video from YouTube so you can hear the 94HP beast.

p5111512pq.jpg

Engine in background is a standard 2.25.

p5111513pq.jpg

p5111514pq.jpg

p5111515pq.jpgp5111516pq.jpgp5111521pq.jpgp5111522pq.jpg

Quite surprisingly, Santana used a VM N/A six cylinder unit for the 300M proto that they made for spanish army in the mid 90´s

300M3.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. From the ribs on the block it looks like its a 7 bearing unit rather than a 4 bearing unit(6 pot version of the 3 bearing 4 pot. Any chance of a pic with the timing case cover removed?. I would love one of these units in my 109" as having had and worked on 2.25's for many years i like them but the lack of go is an issue hence in this day and traffic which is why in the UK its all Tdi/V8 conversions now. It would give the performance of a 2.5TD in a smooth 6 pot diesel which would/does sound soo much nicer than a 4 pot and for most use is satisfactory with the advantage that the series gearbox would not object.

A good friend and myself did consider a road trip to spain some years ago and load his 109" up with 4 of these units(2 each) or fly out to buy a 6 pot truck or 2 out there and drive back with a spare engine in the back with the intention of breaking the truck/trucks for the disc breaked axles etc to go in our normal series.

A member from the "Club Land Rover TT" made a 88" six. Problem was that this engine is top heavy. He said that, having the chance again, will have gone Tdi.

Solihull could have created a supercar in early 80´s using a OneTen chassis, widened aluninium body, 101 axles and a turbo six. Africa will be now full of 3.5/4.0 Tdi Defenders instead of Landcruiser 105s! Instead they buried millions with "Iceberg" project.

Metric only tape measure? Brussels issue?

Many, many years ago, a carpenter came home for taking measures for a new window. He had a metric/imperial tape. He measured inches, but wrote cm, and next day he appeared with a window 2.5 times smaller than the hole in the wall :rofl:

Many, many years ago, a carpenter came home for taking measures for a new window. He had a metric/imperial tape. He measured inches, but wrote cm, and next day he appeared with a window 2.5 times smaller than the hole in the wall :rofl:

Should of watched The Apprentice last night, matey boy orders a 6' x 4' flag but cocks up inches to metric (how many CM in a foot? err 12?).

That could have been an interesting conversion . I put a 3.8 leyland 4cyl diesel in a 109 back in late 70's . was rev limited to 2600, but suitable gearing changes would allow 60mph cruise , even uphill heavily laden IIRC it had about 80bhp , but 175Lbft of torque , what sort of output was the santana 6 ?

Any series box would grenade in short order if used.
There is a lot of series boxes sitting happily behind V8's with a lot more BHP and torque than this would produce due to the less hammer from the larger number of cylinders. Ballpark figures would be 93bhp and 151lbs/ft which is way behind a Tdi which is a lot harsher and does not always destroy the box unless the driver has no mechanical sympathy.

There is a lot of series boxes sitting happily behind V8's with a lot more BHP and torque than this would produce due to the less hammer from the larger number of cylinders. Ballpark figures would be 93bhp and 151lbs/ft which is way behind a Tdi which is a lot harsher and does not always destroy the box unless the driver has no mechanical sympathy.

A TDI box is not a series box, besides which a RV8 or TDI develop their torque at relatively high revs compared to what that Santana 6 would.

Try and put yourself in LandRover UK's shoes a bit by imagining yourself fitting a Santana 6 and brand new series box to your own LandRover. Would you be prepared to offer a 12 month 12,000 miles warranty on the gearbox if you sold your vehicle to someone else? I certainly wouldn't ! Four wheel drive vehicles are purchased to be used, and sometimes abused. Series boxes have no reserves of strength to cope with such an engine when things start to get a bit hairy in offroad conditions.

And where did i say that a Tdi box is a series box???

Please don't hit me!. I must have misunderstood this bit. "93bhp and 150 lb ft torque, which is way behind a Tdi, which is a lot harsher and does not always destroy the the box unless the driver has no mechanical sympathy.''