Oil - 200tdi (I think)

Hi

Just read in another post about oil changes. It mentions new engines use recommended oil and change at recommended intervals and for old worn out engines to use high quality oil but change more regularly.

Does a 1989 2.5 tdi class as old and worn out (84000ish on the clock) or is it a case of depends in individual circumstances?

Cheers

84000 isn't even run in yet. I use anything from 10w/40 to 20w/50 and it's quite happy. I tend to use semi synth as I think it survives the heat of the turbo better, but I do get it cheap and wouldn't bother otherwise.

If it's a Tdi then 300,000+ miles is achieved by quite a few. A Td, well they don't fare so well but I'd expect a lot more than 84,000 if looked after!

That's in terms of the engine of course, the car as a whole will last as long as you want it to. If you can weld and throw a spanner about - or have enough cash to pay others to do so - indefinitely.

It's impossible to say. The history of the engine, how hard it's been worked, the nature of the servicing etc. etc. all affect the longevity of the unit. TD engines have a habit of cracking pistons, but that's only a trend and given good servicing I'm sure one could easily do 150,000 miles.

84,000 miles is very low for a 1989 vehicle, that's only 3,500 miles a year after all. So I would expect it to be in reasonable condition - depending on how it's been used and stored! But that's a guess over an internet forum and as such carries the caveat that it may well be wide off the mark ;)

Well I have all service history and it is all up to date bar the last few years where it hasn't been used according to the mileometer and what it says in the service books. And going off the condition of the rest of it (little rust, decent paint, etc.) i would say its okay.

Cheers

Couldn't tell you mate, all I have is the service history which shows low use each year, couple thousand miles every year, and the log book which shows 3 owners including me.

I'm really happy with it as all it needs is some superficial body work fixed up, one water leak from the passenger door and the drag links are on their way out so they need doing before the mot but I'm dead chuffed and can't wait till my birthday and passing my test so I can get out and about in it :)

It sounds like you have a decent base vehicle there - which is one of the most important things when buying Land Rovers! And in your case a nice standard vehicle will be cheaper and easier to insure. The TD engines have their issues but as long as is runs and doesn't consume vast quantities of oil then I wouldn't worry about it.

As you say, get out and enjoy it. And try and resist the temptation to bolt loads of unnecessary stuff onto it like lights and roll cages, silly suspension etc. For a start it will affect your (I assume already fairly high) insurance, and also you're a lot better off with a standard vehicle as these cars are fantastically capable in factory form!

Also, forum rules dictate that you post a picture of your car.

The 19J TD tends to crack heads as well as pistons, but if it's not pressurising, causing excessive breathing and oil being forced out of the various plugs, gaskets and seals (look around the brake vacuum pump and the back right corner of the head gasket/block), then it's probably OK. Just be sure to service it regularly, especially the cooling system, to keep it that way.

Excellent. All the keepers and stalkers I see and know through work seem to use a variety of Jap double-cab pickups these days unfortunately (including our own who use Ford Rangers), so it'll be good to see someone doing it in a Land Rover once in a while ;)

It must depend on area but most of the keepers I know use land rovers of some description, mostly discoveries with some defenders and the estate I'm on for placement has 3 defenders for the sporting department and about 6 more between the other departments.

At the minute I'm in college but hoping to a job gamekeeping or as a deer stalker

Both are great jobs - extremely hard work but very rewarding. Its only about 12 weeks to the start of the season for us lowlanders - cant wait.

It looks like a stonkin good truck. As the others say that is really low mileage.

Enjoy the job and the Landy

Cheers

Barry

cheers barry, where i live in durham is mostly pheasant so like you say about 12 weeks then the fun starts again, if i wasnt up scotland on work placement then i would of spent the last couple of weeks helping with the rearing but i think i should be back in time for releasing