How much MPG? Join Fuelly.com

o_teunico

Hi all!

I have been busy this weeks because...I have a job! (again). After more than one year of unemployment and a job in June that lasted just one week (company ceased business) now I´m working as lorry driver/delivery for a company where I worked six years ago.

1044902_280872048717516_1153137468_n.jpg

1005425_280872072050847_196961891_n.jpg

Company´s premises are located 40Km from home, so, I drive with my Fiat Tipo 1.4 carb. 80km per day.

Good news is that two friends of mine have both low mileage Discoveries for sale. One is a three door 200 with off road preparation and the other is a five door stock 300.

My Tipo is doing 7.5 litres of petrol every 100Km. I supose that, with diesel beeing cheaper than petrol, a Discovery will give me same euros/Km.

How much L/100Km-MPG are normal for a Discovery used in main roads at 80-100km/h (50/60mph)?

I have joined www.fuelly.com , a place where users can share and compare their MPG. They have even an App so you can upload your litres-km/gallons-milles with the phone every time you fuell up.

High twenties or low thirties I would have thought. My 90 does 32-34mpg with the same engine and kind of driving, and a Disco is more streamlined but I guess a bit heavier. Higher gearing on the Disco will help.

I don't bother with Fuelly, I just work it out myself and record it in a notepad I keep in the car.

I have looked on Honest john in the past, and the figures here are pretty much correct with my daily driver.

Interestingly, the Defender comes out as one of the most accurate consumption figures from the factory, with figures recorded from the public being 105% off that from land rover (generally it is more like 70-80% of quoted figures):

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/land-rover/defender-1984

To put things to the test, my daily driver is a polo 5 bluemotion, and I get 64MPG on a tank, which is exactly what Honest john comes up with. Fuelly records an average of 46MPG.

I cannot achieve that, no matter how I abuse the thing, so I am a bit puzzled how these people get their figures.

Shame is that honest john doesn't show figures of the early disco.

Daan

Fuelly records an average of 46MPG.

I cannot achieve that, no matter how I abuse the thing, so I am a bit puzzled how these people get their figures.

Maybe those 46 are 100% town driving.

My 90 does 32-34mpg with the same engine and kind of driving

That´s even less than my Tipo! I´m doing slightly less than 31.5 MPG

• 3 weeks later...