RRC Upgrade to ETC all round

Snagger

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the late Classic's ABS system, which has ETC on the rear, to have ETC up front too? Is it an ECU issue? Does the Discovery II have all round ETC, and can it's system or relevant parts be transplanted?

As I understand it the system on the Classic and P38 is essentially the same. The ETC is just an extension of the ABS which is a bolt on further bit which works on the rear wheels only.

The Disco 2 system is completely different. Sorry i don't know if the ETC on it works on 4 or 2 wheels.

To do this you would need to use the ecu from an XA on,(Post 99my) P38.Its the smaller black ecu which had the 4 channel TC you want.I've never been asked to carry out the upgrade,and now rarely work on Classics - or P38's, most have gone now as far as an independant LR garage is concerned.

It would be down to finding an ecu and modulator block with the loom etc from a scrapper.I see no reason why it shouldnt work,just as EAS was VERY similar on Classics and P38's.(At one stage I was considering building a full stand alone test rig for Dunlop EAS...)

Presumably so!

Of course you could just upgrade to a Freelander. :ph34r:

Ha! :D

This RR doesn't go off roading. What I'd like is better front grip on snowy or icy roads. It's good, but if it can be easily converted, it'd be worth it.

Ha! :D

This RR doesn't go off roading. What I'd like is better front grip on snowy or icy roads. It's good, but if it can be easily converted, it'd be worth it.

In that case, wouldn't it be easier to use different tyres then, or snow chains or snow socks?

I personally though my 205/80R16 Khumho Venture AT's where very good in the snow and ice.

What tires and size of tyre are you using now?

I have Hankook ATs on it at the moment, but only because they were relatively unused on the RRC CSK/LSE alloys I bought for the 109. I normally use BFG AT/KOs, which seem very good on the RR and on the 109 on snowy roads. It's just when trying to do things like climb a kerb to clear the road in the snow that can be a problem - the rear will climb up happily because of the ETC, but not the front, and I was hoping for a very quick and simple fix using an ECU from a vehicle being broken. It's not worth the cost of LSDs or other diff locks just for that.

Lockers are not great for snow/ice, you want to be able to go round corners without breaking traction, having lockers in (even centre diff) forces wheels to slip, and then you're stuffed. ABS/ETC are smart enough to allow the speed difference.

Lockers are not great for snow/ice, you want to be able to go round corners without breaking traction, having lockers in (even centre diff) forces wheels to slip, and then you're stuffed. ABS/ETC are smart enough to allow the speed difference.

That's what I thought, though I thought some LSDs might be OK. That's why the RRC handles icy roads better than my wife's Defender; the Borg Warner unit keeps both axles driving without causing skidding in the turns.

Snow chains are a pain because they need to be removed for most roads and make a mess in the boot. It's also a nuisance to keep removing and refitting them. Winter tyres are excellent, I know, but my tyres are winter rated anyway. BFG ATs are also snow rated. They're good in those conditions, but a little extra help can never be a bad thing.

I'll look at fitting the DII system.