Bobbed and caged RRC called The "JWH"

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Did it make a good bang or just a boring crunch? 

Somewhere in between, initially thought it was just the 10 spline stub.. But then the wheel locked Up, and I knew it was the CV 😉😂

3 hours ago, deep said:

We all do now.  Thanks for doing the research on our behalf!

My pleasure 😁

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

That climbs amazingly well considering lack of application of right foot, and the loose sandy surface -maybe there is something to this weight thing :) 

Yes and the lovely grip of the Krawlers! I ran the 37" Discoverers for the first 1,5 week to get a good feeling of them and then switched to the Krawlers for the remaining 1,5 weeks and even running a higher pressure because of the tubes in the Krawlers the grip was noticeably better in the loose stuff, somethig I did not expect. So now I don't know which tyres to run :D 

7 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Looks great :) 

What is the total weight again Sören? 

1600kgs with both winches a bit of spareparts, straps etc.

• 11 months later...

Wow can't believe its been almost a year! :O 

Anyways some of you might think either me or this project has disappeared into outer Space! Luckily thats not the case, its just life that has got in the way :D 

I won't be spending this summer in the gravel pit abusing this thing, so I thought I might as well spend some time getting something done that I've wanted since i built it.

And that is radiator in the back, so with some exhaust tubing and some universal radiator hoses I got there in the end:

https://youtu.be/s-2ReDEb2QM

Which now finally allowed me to fit the 80" front that I've been wanting all along! :D:i-m_so_happy:

IMG_20190711_120032.thumb.jpg.64c5811c340b6ce95351d9e832549e61.jpg

And here's a little walk-around video of the front to give you a better idea of how it looks from all the angles:

https://youtu.be/tauctllrBgI

I could've shoved it deeper in at the front, which would probably look better, but it would require me to completely molest the S1 panel and I didn't feel like that. This way only some slight trimming has been done so it can always be fitted to my 80" if needs be

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

A little update on this, not many things have changed really, I'm still just abusing it :D 

Replaced the seats a while back for some that are waterproof.

But now I finally had it with mud getting thrown in your face constantly from the wheels so I fitted some larger archers and made some rocksliders (not needed as that though because of Buggy) to hold the archers and give them some stability :

IMG_20220806_190824019_HDR.thumb.jpg.5c56a0891ebaeb712cf859ff20704156.jpgIMG_20220806_190850506_HDR.thumb.jpg.9a4539b98e4e147f659807e882a8e915.jpgIMG_20220916_135734894.thumb.jpg.99173e0c31e00ad06a0d52d82bc98e09.jpgIMG_20220916_135658278.thumb.jpg.774e96690787c24f75ca21d7d770b8b6.jpgIMG_20220916_141513424.thumb.jpg.0a7685f7a4a1efde2aaf08c4f98c2353.jpgIMG_20220916_144912136.thumb.jpg.10d174fd30ed84f1313f6ffd85601cc7.jpg

Thanks, yeah I know right 😮

Anyways the thing is still going great, but driving style has changed a bit, I'm beginning to slowly move away from the big climbs and into the mud and deep water so the dizzy'ed and carb'ed V8 is as suited asnymore.. Have been comsidering a move to the darkside, but as we all now nothing beats a V8 so  I'm unsure.. If I do go Diesel I would want something I can fit to the LT95 so that kinda limits my options a bit :D 

Edited by Soren Frimodt

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Just move to decent coil packs and water is no problem at all.

Obviously you're right, but adding electronics to solve an electrical problem really isn't my kinda thing..

Actually this Summer I just smeared silicone grease everywhere all over the dizzy and leads and it ran like a sowing machine for almost a full day of water fun. Eventually the heat and water had washed some of it away and a couple of droplets have found their way into the dizzy

With my last Range Rover, I borrowed a Mallory optical distributor and put a small snorkel (tractor style) on the left wing (so I could at least see the intake was above water level!).  That car did many river crossings.  On one trip, water came over the bonnet five times and the engine literally didn't miss a beat.  Even better, the diffs, gearbox, transfer box and even swivel housings didn't get any water in them either.  A properly sorted and maintained Range Rover is a good river vehicle (though I realise you have lost your door seals 😇) - you just need the right distributor and proper waterproofing on HT leads and the coil.  Those Mallory optical distributors aren't cheap but are definitely worth it!

Thanks for the input guys 👍

We once tried positive pressure in the dizzy but the problem with (at least all the dizzy I've had) is that they're really not sealed very well down the shaft, so not only will pressure be leaking into the engine but this is also where a lot of the moisture comes from IMO, simply condensation from the engine rising into the dizzy just like it does in the valve covers.

So no dizzy at all would surely be the best solution. Its just that an old school Diesel just doesn't care, so much easier to use in a moist environment.

But the real problem is the muddy water we drive in here. Just like liquid sandpaper, it ruins all seals, starters, alternators bearings etc. And because the bottom is mud we get stuck a lot and hold still for a while and that's where the water really seeps in everywhere. A river crossing with nice clean water and a good bow-wave is much better. But we just don't have that in Denmark..

Details please Arjan I know nothing about that engine :D 

• Like 1

"Details please Arjan I know nothing about that engine :D"

Sure......

4 cyl., 3.500 cc., diesel, N/A, turbo / intercooled about 130-150 bph and about 260 lb/ft. almost over the whole rev range..

Had several in both in a Soft Dash, a 110 CSW (with a ZF) and love them.

Gear driven timing, etc.

Will be fitting one, with an LT85, in a 110 HT when I find time....

If you want to know more, give a shout.

Engine is in France but I can take it to Holland / Belgium if some relay is needed....