Transmision Oil Leak

Hi,

I have a '99 V8 110 Station Wagon fitted with an R380 gearbox and an LT230TE transfer box. While checking underneath I noticed a slight oil leak coming from the joint between the gearbox and the transfer box. I haven't checked the oil levels but will do so tomorrow. Any suggestions as to the possible cause(s) of the leak?

Cheers,

Del

This post from another forum helped me with a similar problem

The hard part is finding the source of the leak, fixing it usually quite easy. Where exactly is the oil appearing? what type of oil is it? how much oil is leaking?.

A leak from the flywheel drain hole can come from 3 likely sources -

1) The engine is loosing oil, probably from the crankshaft rear seal, that oil is usually black or dark brown in colour and tastes like engine oil . Not too bad if the leak is small, say approximately one spoonful of oil per day.

2) The main gearbox is loosing oil through the input shaft seal, that oil may, be red in colour, again a minor leak is not the end of the world but if not fixed it could eventually turn embarrasingly expensive.

3) The clutch slave cylinder is leaking, the oil may be light/golden brown colour, relatively easy to fix but if you loose more than a couple of spoonfuls of oil you will have no clutch .

A leak from above the top of the gearbox may simply be coming from the engine rocker cover and is easy enough to repair/replace.

This post from another forum helped me with a similar problem The hard part is finding the source of the leak, fixing it usually quite easy. Where exactly is the oil appearing? what type of oil is it? how much oil is leaking?. A leak from the flywheel drain hole can come from 3 likely sources - 1) The engine is loosing oil, probably from the crankshaft rear seal, that oil is usually black or dark brown in colour and tastes like engine oil . Not too bad if the leak is small, say approximately one spoonful of oil per day. 2) The main gearbox is loosing oil through the input shaft seal, that oil may, be red in colour, again a minor leak is not the end of the world but if not fixed it could eventually turn embarrasingly expensive. 3) The clutch slave cylinder is leaking, the oil may be light/golden brown colour, relatively easy to fix but if you loose more than a couple of spoonfuls of oil you will have no clutch . A leak from above the top of the gearbox may simply be coming from the engine rocker cover and is easy enough to repair/replace.

The oil is coming from either the gearbox or the transfer box and is leking from the mating face.

If it's red, it's from the gearbox and probably the rear mainshaft oil seal (pig to change). If it's yellow, it's ep90 and coming from the transfer box, probably the input seal, a bit of a pig to change as the transfer box has to be removed but not nearly as bad as the gearbox seal.

Hopefully that helps a little.

Thanks for the input. The oil is not red so it looks as though it is the seal on the input to the transfer box. i will check the breather but knowing my luck I am not holding my breath!

Cheers,

Del