Talk to me about Trolley Jacks!

Spearos

I have an old looking trolley jack, which is almost certainly a Sealey item. I've spoken to them regarding Identifying it but all they could come up with is it is probably is a Sealey and a 3t version.

Anyway recently I bought a mk.4 Golf TDI 130 for SWMBO and during the obligatory inspection/oil change/replacement of all filters I tried to lift the front of the car to get the damn undertray off. However just as the front wheel started to leave the ground the jack started making what I can only describe as a faint hissing sound with each pump but failed to lift any higher.

I've since tried it on my 90 and it lifts fine, I've topped the jack up and bled it but it still wont lift the TDI! I know the mk.4 Golfs have a bit of a reputation for being lardy and diesel lumps are often heavy units but is a front corner of the Golf really heavier than a corner of my 90?! Besides, even if my jack is only rated at 2t, it should still lift the Golf right?

The only difference is that on the Golf the jack is under load from about 5-6" whereas the 90 it is around 10-12" - would this make a difference?

One thing I have noticed is that what I believe is the relief valve looks as though someone has been in there as the slot is damaged (see attached photo). Are the relief valve adjustable? I'm thinking someone has perhaps had a tinker with it, it would explain why I got it so cheap!

post-4669-0-55560500-1378669413_thumb.jpg

I know this is a silly question and I feel stupid asking it .... are you sure you didn't accidentally twist the handle so the jack was in the lowering position?

Definitely not! Tried several times on the Golf between bleeding/comparing/general faffing bout!

I don't know much about them but maybe the angle of the arm under the golf is in a position of poor mechanical advantage - so the fluid pressure is built higher and either escapes or triggers the valve ?

Not quite sure what you mean, however the attempt on the Golf was on the front end of the 'chassis' rail, from the side and the Landie inserted from the rear :blink:... If that would make a difference?

However the jack is quite a beast at approx. 70cm x 35cm so is, as Sealey said probably a 3 tonner so I'd imagine it'd lift either from any 'approach' :wacko:

Put a 5" block of wood between the jack and the 90 to simulate the lifting position of the Golf and see what happens.

Good idea!!! Will have a go at that tomorrow!..

Now I've read you should never play with relief valves :rtfm: but curiousity got the better of me and I have removed the slotted screw in the photo and... there's another, slightly smaller slotted screw under it :huh: Perhaps turning this alters the pressure the valve operates at? Perhaps the previous owner had a tinker in there? Or, perhaps I shouldn't touch things I know nothing about!

looks a lot like my draper, older model but 2 tonne HD. Draper part no 37174. google for manual "draper 37174 manual" draper/sealey often only difference is paint colour

may just need topping up or bleeding of filler plug. I read in my my manual if you open valve handle by twisting you can give a few pumps to bleed any air out.

looks a lot like my draper, older model but 2 tonne HD. Draper part no 37174. google for manual "draper 37174 manual" draper/sealey often only difference is paint colour

may just need topping up or bleeding of filler plug. I read in my my manual if you open valve handle by twisting you can give a few pumps to bleed any air out.

I've bled it several times, using the 20 pumps with the release valve open method and the jack it to the highest point and release all the way down, then open the filler to let air out method.

Topped up oil too, makes no difference :mellow:

Put a 5" block of wood between the jack and the 90 to simulate the lifting position of the Golf and see what happens.

Ok so I tried this and had the same result as on the Golf, only the jack started doing it with the LR axle only raised only an inch or so.

How is it that with the load 'on' lower down on the jack's stroke, the jack struggles? Hmmm, part of me just wants to go and buy a brand spanking new one but then I don't like to be beaten!

It'll be the bore of the cylinder that is leaking at that point, i doubt you'll see the problem without stripping it.

G

Cured with a rebuild, new seals?

Edit:

Thinking about it, if the seal(s) is/are at fault surely it would leak along the whole length of the bore - assuming the bore size should be consistant? So the bore could be worn, in which case I guess a rebuild won't make a **** bit of difference! And the jack is pretty much scrap?

Or I've got this totally wrong? :wacko: