Has Anyone Made Their Own Fuel Tank?

fisha

Was just wondering about this today ( too much time on my hands obviously )

In the RRC, the current tank leaks when anything more than £20 of fuel is in it. This isn't really a big deal as I run only on gas these days. I am shortly about to have the whole rear end of the vehicle apart to replace a section of the inner wings.

I was planning on removing the petrol tank in order to allow me to stand on the ground inside to get better access ( the floor will obviously be out )

I was thinking whether it would be possible to make / get / fit a smaller petrol tank to replace the existing one. I would fit it to the front area of the existing one as that would leave me some free space to the rear to possibly allow a winch to be fitted under the floor in the future.

So is it hard to do?

What materials are suggested?

cheers,

Don.

i just made my own fuel tank from 6mm m/s, saves me makin a separate tank guard ;)

was this from scrach or you chopped the lower part of an underseat tank? any prep to get rid of the fuel inside?

if from scratch, 6 sheets of metal or fewer sheets but folded? Any pics?

I made a small tank for one of my offroad trials buggies. I used mild steel 1.6 mm sheet I seem to remember.

It was three pieces(not including the baffles), which consisted of two ends with folded edges and one sheet folded to make the sides. The baffles are the same as the ends except with a few holes. The baffles prevent surge on cornering etc and help support the weight of fuel in the tank, so that the tank doesn't bulge.

Still holds fuel 12 years later.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

I have made 2 small 4 1/2 gal rear tanks to fit over each wheel arch in the back of a RR bob tail/pick up.

I made them from 1.6mm stees and put 2 baffles in each of them.

They had a triangular shape to the bottom of them so they would fit over the wheel arch on each side.

They were used for 2 years without problems.

I have also made one large 10 gal rectangular tank that fitted between the roll cage and rear tub bulkhead on a 88" hybrid and that is still going well 4 years on.

The large tank has fittings in the top for a pick up pipe and return, and the 2 small tanks had hydraulic fittings welded to the bottom for fuel pick up.

i just made my own fuel tank from 6mm m/s, saves me makin a separate tank guard ;)

was this from scrach or you chopped the lower part of an underseat tank? any prep to get rid of the fuel inside?

if from scratch, 6 sheets of metal or fewer sheets but folded? Any pics?

i used standard tank top and remade the bottom in 6mm, just saved me makin all the holes in the top ;) also moved the drain plug to the back rather than underneath. also made the bottom of the tank 2 inches higher.

pics, errrr i'll take some but i've already fitted it :blink:

I didn't treat mine, it was 1.6mm mild steel sheet and used for petrol. Still ok after 12 years. Obviously with any fuel system, you need to filter the fuel before it ends up in the engine!.

I haven't looked inside the tank for a number of years, but it wasn't showing any serious signs of rust the last time I looked.

Regards, Diff