TD5 Gauges VDO?

If you can find them, VDO did an older range of gauges which are a better match for the Td5 units. This is one I picked up off eBay a little while ago:

post-10578-0-57853700-1379185416_thumb.jpg post-10578-0-79694600-1379185403_thumb.jpg

It has the same blue/red ends of the scale and a white needle so I picked it up with the aim of putting it in the 90 to replace the Td5 gauge. Was going to get a new one from the Vision range but the match wasn't good enough and I figured it would annoy me! This isn't perfect but at least the colours are the same.

It's stamped 1985 so that gives you an idea of the era. Think the chap I bought this off said it came out of a Triumph or something like that, but it may have been aftermarket so who knows. The VDO number is shown there but no idea whether you could still get it from anywhere. Mine came with a sender to match.

It'll be like the Enterprise with all those Ross! Are you sure you want all that information at you all the time? I used to have a voltmeter in mine and got rid of it fairly sharpish as I just found myself watching it and worrying over the smallest changes. It took all the fun out of driving it, and no doubt would be even worse with an oil pressure gauge or the like.

Ignorance is bliss I find. Perhaps I'm slightly more likely to blow the engine up or the like yes but at least I can now enjoy driving it until then :)

With that many additions where are you planning to mount them ?

What I'm wondering is that if they are in a stand alone console - and they all match each other and look pretty close to the standard one in their standard locations .... Then all may be well ?

In the centre console. The stereo is going and being replaced by a unit in the roof.

Why 2 voltage, Ross?

One for each battery. Still to this day, even after stripping all the wiring out, do not know which battery my old gauge was showing!

Vdo do all of the above but you will have to order from the USA, stack are very expensive but very good and auto meter gauges are cheap and cheerful.

I'll have a look, thanks :). Stack gauges are gorgeous, especially their white faced ones. As you say though, very spendy!

It'll be like the Enterprise with all those Ross! Are you sure you want all that information at you all the time? I used to have a voltmeter in mine and got rid of it fairly sharpish as I just found myself watching it and worrying over the smallest changes. It took all the fun out of driving it, and no doubt would be even worse with an oil pressure gauge or the like.

Ignorance is bliss I find. Perhaps I'm slightly more likely to blow the engine up or the like yes but at least I can now enjoy driving it until then :)

That's partly why I'm not 100% sure on the oil pressure one. The rest is all useful. I've never found myself looking and worrying other than EGTs climbing up during a long incline. One reason for the oil pressure gauge would be to be able to better monitor the oil situation... I've had the oil light flickering several times when the engine is warm and sat on tickover.

Ralph, yours is like a 'Learner' Enterprise with dual controls ...

:rofl: so true! :)

Only when the split charge is working. I'd have though it would also depend on the load on each battery too?

Well you would hope that the split charge would be working when the engine is running, so that'll be 99.9% of the time.

Voltage won't vary differently by load if the split charge is working, as they are still connected in parallel, and will average the voltage between them. The only time I can see them being useful is when the engine is off.