M57 into 110 CSW

sorry for digging up old thread. I'm just in the process of preparing everything to do same conversion but to a discovery. did you really need rallyaid loom? is it decoding can signal to analog and you connect it to your land rover dash? I was planning to use bmw loom from the car I take the engine from and use clock cluster as wel. does that make sense? only problem I find is speedo as I'm considering 4hp24 which only has output shaft speed sensor for it's own operation.

The rallyraid loom just connects the ecu to the receiving vehicle easily , 5 wires , outputs for warning lights , inputs for power etc . I retained the immobiliser in a permanent disabled set up. They offer a modded ecu , that is mapped , and also does away with the immob requirement .

BTW just got back from a 3400km trip thru europe , never missed a beat , or used drop of oil or water. Only refuelled twice once in Luxembourg 76ppl and Czech republic 85ppl still got a few gallons left :)

Re speed signal cant help as the 110 is mech speedo , and the M57 doesnt use a speed input signal (unlike the 3,9i that was in before which i used a RRC pulse unit)

You've either got a long range tank, or managed an average of more than 40 mpg.

Still not sure if I should be saving for an M57 or an OM606 to replace the Mazda SL35 in mine though.

Rough sums put it somewhere near £2k to buy the car and all the other bits to get it fitted and running.

I fancy an auto though, the conversion is one of the best things I've done with it so far.

Out of interest, what transfer ratio are you running? It probably says somewhere in the thread but I can't remember.

agree totally about BMW , engine is the best part of their cars. The M57 won shed loads of awards . What mpg with the petrol engine?

I have never really liked BMWs, but they do make cracking engines! BMW did a good thing when they bought land rover, shame it ended really!!

I have done the same, my exhaust is Titanium wrapped from the manifolds to the first muffler, save the propshaft and gearbox from the heat. Gearing in mine is spot on though, using the R380 standard ratios and a 1.41 transfer box, but being petrol that suits it very nicely.

I agree, however there is always an exception to the rule, The M47 wasn't without its slightly major design and reliability issues

You've either got a long range tank, or managed an average of more than 40 mpg. Long range tank :)

Still not sure if I should be saving for an M57 or an OM606 to replace the Mazda SL35 in mine though.

Rough sums put it somewhere near £2k to buy the car and all the other bits to get it fitted and running.

I fancy an auto though, the conversion is one of the best things I've done with it so far. Going with the BMW would be the easier /cheaper fit with either manual or auto as both were used in the p38 so direct bolt up the auto slightly easier

Out of interest, what transfer ratio are you running? 110 V8 (1.410) It probably says somewhere in the thread but I can't remember.

Today I spoke to a guy, and saw it with my own eyes, who put an M57 in his Y61 Nissan Patrol. Looked really good in there (don't know why I didn't take a pic) and sounded so much nicer than any Jap diesel I've ever heard. It ran silky smooth. He had mated it up to the Patrol gearbox via a self-made adaptor, and got 7,4km/l running like hoon and often with a trailer. So not bad at all. It was a 180-some HP version.

Hmm well these Patrols aren't exactly renowned for their great fuel economy as it is, you can ask DirtyDiesel how much he gets out of his 2,8 on 35"s aswell. And he also told me that he was planning to swap the R&P for a taller gearing because it was running too high RPM on the Motorway

• 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few patrols on you tube with bmw engines fitted. What torque do you think you are running, must be near limits of the gearbox. Its past the gearbox limits (380nm) , thats why I have had ashcroft mod, etc This now is another engine option for my 130. What would be the easiest option for engine mounts? I used the bmw , but i think the brackets and rubbers of an M51 might well be an easier/better solution with the allowable room

HTSH

The M52 petrol that was fitted in Defenders for South Africa utilised a lot of parts that would make dropping an M57 into a V8 chassis quite easy.
As far as I'm aware they were based on the V8 chassis with engine mounting plates to suit the mounts, and the bellhousing etc was the same as the P38.

Apparently all the stuff is in the Land Rover parts books (and Microcat) so if you can find a copy you could in theory have the entire setup bolt in using genuine parts.
Not a bad way to do it really.

The M52 petrol that was fitted in Defenders for South Africa utilised a lot of parts that would make dropping an M57 into a V8 chassis quite easy.

As far as I'm aware they were based on the V8 chassis with engine mounting plates to suit the mounts, and the bellhousing etc was the same as the P38.

Apparently all the stuff is in the Land Rover parts books (and Microcat) so if you can find a copy you could in theory have the entire setup bolt in using genuine parts.

Not a bad way to do it really.

Have you got any pics of the mountings or part numbers ?

• 3 months later...

Another thread dig!

Looking at doing this in my currently Td5 Discovery.

Thankfully the Td5 is at an age where people aren't put off by it.

Getting the rest of the computer systems to work shouldn't be too hard, hell, there's a 4BD1T powered Disco 2 running around in the US so it can't be that hard.

Apparently Rakeway do an adapter for the M57 to the MT82 Getrag, which is available in a beefed up version here behind the 3.2L ford ranger so that makes things easier! The BMW box has good ratios but eats synchros apparently.

It seems these engines have the capacity to put out some serious numbers so I'll set myself a target of 200Kw and 600Nm :ph34r:

Will be turbo, IC, mapping upgrade for sure...
Tacr2man, you mention that a pre -04 variant is the best to fit? I've read all the issues of the swirl pots, is there anything stopping a later variant from being fitted? We don't really have the availability of BMW diesels here in Aus that you guys do!
Cheers

Muppet

Apparently Rakeway do an adapter for the M57 to the MT82 Getrag, which is available in a beefed up version here behind the 3.2L ford ranger so that makes things easier! The BMW box has good ratios but eats synchros apparently.

Tacr2man, you mention that a pre -04 variant is the best to fit? I've read all the issues of the swirl pots, is there anything stopping a later variant from being fitted? We don't really have the availability of BMW diesels here in Aus that you guys do!

i seen photos of the rakeway adaptors, there a work or art but iirc are around £4200+vat. pre 04 are easier to install as less wiring/simple ecu. but only 184 an 204hp, later ones are like 250hp. not sure by swirl pots? i assume you mean swirl flaps in the manifold? cheap removal kits on ebay. :)

Yeah swirl flaps, sorry, late night posting does strange things to the link from head to keyboard!

That's a heck of a lot of cash! For what's in an adapter it's difficult for me to see nearly $10k AUD value, perhaps the BMW box is the go.... Or perhaps I can have something made locally.

From what I've found chatting to the local dealership, internally the M57 variants are identical, so the power differences come from head differences, mapping, and the number of turbos you hang off the side. I'd like to set myself a target of 200Kw and 600Nm which I'm sure is achievable...