Clutch will not release fully

Ladge

Here’s one for all you LR mechanics, Discovery 200tdi 1994 with 380 gearbox. New parts bought and

fitted

Complete Borg & Beck Clutch,

Slave Cylinder,

Master Cylinder,

Fluid feed Pipe,

Clutch lever,

Thrust bearing.

All fitted and system bleed with ezybleed, all air out, gear still biteting clutch not fully releasing, rebleed all ok but clutch still not releasing fully, so engine out for inspection perhaps something not fitted correctly, but no all ok engine back in bleed but clutch still not fully releasing, Talk to local LR garage, must be air, Bleed under 40psi no air visible makes absolutely no improvement clutch still not releasing fully. Pull engine sent clutch back maybe pressure plate faulty, fit replacement clutch bleed system again but still the same result clutch not releasing fully, I have tried jacking the back high I have jacked the front up high, I have chocked the pedal over night. I have changed the slave cylinder again also the master cylinder none of this has made any difference, the clutch remains the same it will not release fully

Got the correct length clutch release bearing?

There are at least two versions, very similar, subtly different lengths, very easily confused / swapped, wrong one will give a clutch that almost doesn't engage, or almost doesn't disengage, depending if you get the "too long" one or "too short" for your box. From memory, there's the V8 or TDi part and possibly LT77 or R380 variants, an ask on the part numbers forum might give the path to enlightenment.

And yes, been there, done it, not a fun night in the workshop...

My original reason for replacing the clutch was the classic pivot through the lever. Friction plate correct way round pulled engine just in case this was the problem, but thanks for your input. Release bearing difference do you know I have racked my brain over and over for every scenario I can think of and some, but the thought the bearing may be of a different length never entered my head, and it was only reasently last week in fact that I realised someone before me had fitted the 380 gearbox in there, that being said the possibility of a the bearing being shorter is possible if the clutch supplied was supplied for the LT77 box, I will get onto this scenario thank you for that this maybe the answer I will get back to you, thanks guys

Are you sure the problem's the clutch not clearing? Could the "drag" be due to the spigot-bearing in the end of the crankshaft having been damaged/displaced during the removal/refitting of the gearbox, and causing it to now bind on the nose of the gearbox input-shaft?

After a discussion with a mate about my problem with the clutch, we both agree it must be the lever pivot causing the problem, I found it loose and about ¼ to ½ inch out so screwed it in and tightened it, my friend told me the pivot should have a lock nut on it and is set at a certain distance so as to give the correct push, we both looked to see if there is any information on this and there is none. No mention at all anywhere, so if this pivot brakes wears out how is anyone to know how to set it up.

Are you sure the problem's the clutch not clearing? Could the "drag" be due to the spigot-bearing in the end of the crankshaft having been damaged/displaced during the removal/refitting of the gearbox, and causing it to now bind on the nose of the gearbox input-shaft?

Thanks for your thoughts but I am certain it is the clutch or as I say now the pivot the lever swings on.

The clutch lever pivot is fixed no adjustment to be had there, I pulled the engine and it looks to me when I activate the lever manually that it can’t move far enough to release the clutch so are the clutch levers for the 200tdi lt77 and the R380 gearboxes different?