tray back

mike payne

hi guys, just finished my project, taken a while but just passed her mot last week, only thing im unsure on is what to do with the dvla, she used to be a hardtop, do i inform them of the changes and if so what would i class it as, a amature rebuild or a radical modification.

or do i just risk it and wait until the pull me and play dum as i have received an mot since the work has been carried out.

i know you guys probably here this all the time, just after some advice off people who have done it before just so i dont go and say the wrong thing and mess it all up.post-18314-0-41826200-1381949996_thumb.jpg

Er............

I think sadly you may have done the "Make changes - now how do I make it legal" vs "Make changes within the rules" issue.

basically, and really simply, if you have chopped the rear of the chassis and made changes to it etc then its IVA time,

An MOT pass does not make it legal - an MOT is different from an IVA approved vechile that then goes for an MOT and passes

and saying to DVLA its now a trayback not a hardtop won't work. looking at the picture I can safely say you don't stand a chance getting it

past an IVA as it is :(

Which ever way you go I think you are going to have trouble - either getting it "legal" or risk in doing nothing ..............many do eaxctly that,

IMHO very very risky in the world of insurers and modifications / Road crash / accident / Non IVA approved road car etc etc

Its a big box of worms. You are always best to understand what the rules are , what you can and can't do, then build a mods wihin the framework

of the legislation, you can get modified 4x4s past IVA if you go about it properly, many here have done it, but its not a tick box "thankyou my pass type of process

Nige

The SVA police will be along to shoot me shortly :rofl:

Perhaps the OP could start a thread in the "safe zone" so the topic of the test "who's name we cannot mention" can be discussed further so we can help him find a safe and legal way forward, it might be of enormous help to others to see what faults he has made and what he needs to do to rectify them.

On a side note, I really like it :wub: Well done :D

It would be good to have a thread with the newer legislation of IVas etc, and a route to success.

Whilst I might be lambasted by the SVA or AntiSVA Police the rules iz the rules, I have no probs in helping peeps with my own knowledge from the Hybrid days

of points system and SVA, my knowledge on the SVA is far less detailed....

What we as a forum have to be careful and mindful of is ot allowing the AntiSVA Police to say "Its all b****x my mate in the pub says so" etc or adise something illegal or

ill thought / stupid. Similarly the SVA police need to remember that its a solution we are looking for and not a problem,,,,

Fingers crossed

Nige

Er............

I think sadly you may have done the "Make changes - now how do I make it legal" vs "Make changes within the rules" issue.

basically, and really simply, if you have chopped the rear of the chassis and made changes to it etc then its IVA time,

An MOT pass does not make it legal - an MOT is different from an IVA approved vechile that then goes for an MOT and passes

and saying to DVLA its now a trayback not a hardtop won't work. looking at the picture I can safely say you don't stand a chance getting it

This thread has now been moved, or people get upset!

Nigel, I am not sure that is actually correct: didn't the IVA add a rule that cars such as Traybacks and bobtails got a dispensation of showing a buildup log? They still need an IVA, but you are not required to have a complete ground up photo build log of the car.

Furthermore, I can see no reason why a trayback would fail the test, so depending on the paperwork/photo log you have available for it, it is not neccesarily a dead end.

Daan

thanks guys, with the chassis in is still the same length but i chopped of the rusty rear crossmember and fabricated a

tray, i would rather go down the legal road even if it is a nasty one, spoke to the dvla and have to send them the v5 with a cover letter of the changes i have made, will get this done and see what the come back with, just am not to sure on wether to say i have rebuilt the whole car or just modified it but i suppose this wouldnt make a difference as they will see what i have done when the inspect it.

what kind of paperwork would i need to get it thro the test, is it just a build photo log and receipts.

thanks for your help

Er............

Which ever way you go I think you are going to have trouble - either getting it "legal" or risk in doing nothing ..............many do eaxctly that,

IMHO very very risky in the world of insurers and modifications / Road crash / accident / Non IVA approved road car etc etc

Its a big box of worms. You are always best to understand what the rules are , what you can and can't do, then build a mods wihin the framework

of the legislation, you can get modified 4x4s past IVA if you go about it properly, many here have done it, but its not a tick box "thankyou my pass type of process

Nige

why do u think it wont pass

thanks guys, with the chassis in is still the same length but i chopped of the rusty rear crossmember and fabricated a

tray, i would rather go down the legal road even if it is a nasty one, spoke to the dvla and have to send them the v5 with a cover letter of the changes i have made, will get this done and see what the come back with, just am not to sure on wether to say i have rebuilt the whole car or just modified it but i suppose this wouldnt make a difference as they will see what i have done when the inspect it.

what kind of paperwork would i need to get it thro the test, is it just a build photo log and receipts.

thanks for your help

In that case you are probably ok without an IVA. Trouble is that it is at the degression of the person you are dealing with, and that can mean mr nice guy right through to mr hard work having a bad day.

Daan

If I were to be the OP in this case then I think I would "want" to go down the IVA route due to the variation in peoples interpretations of the rules and mods to this truck, not that there is anything wrong or too far out of place but also knowing as I do that road side stop by the po-po can turn into a long drawn out affair if they have a bee in their bonnet about something, that test and official paperwork surrounding it tells them,

1) it is legal.

2) the owner has had the fore thought to have it examined by officials who deem it to be road worthy.

For peace of mind £450 is nothing compared with the hassle of seizure and then having the burden of showing and supplying proof that it is a legal road worthy vehicle.

Sorry to seem as though I am scare mongering but sometimes you have to be honest and open with the authorities, they make the rules, and others can try to put their own interpretations of them forward, but a signed and stamped official document is proof, not just one mans opinion, whether he is right or wrong, just my honest opinion.

Oh and lest I forget that should they find something wrong then it will be a £550 fine and 6 points on the license, driving without insurance as it is not road worthy in the eyes of the law. So potentially you could end up an instant £100 in cash out of pocket and a whole lot more in the long run with the points etc,.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't pass, if that's any help at all.

Looks good from this angle too ;)

Paperwork wise, there'd not be much for you, it's where you build a vehicle from scratch you need to prove suppliers etc.

• 3 months later...

so sent my letters to the dvla showing pictures and explaining exactly what i have done.

Had a letter back the other day and all they asked for was a modification list, reciepts for purchases and to fill out a first time regastration form, so luckily no sva needed, all taxed and road legal now

so sent my letters to the dvla showing pictures and explaining exactly what i have done.Had a letter back the other day and all they asked for was a modification list, reciepts for purchases and to fill out a first time regastration form, so luckily no sva needed, all taxed and road legal now

Fantastic news :)

Must admit, kind of thought it had died a death with 4 months passing and all.

May you have many happy smiley miles in her :D

don't understand why DVLA asked you to complete a 'first registration' form, when the chassis identity & reg number have not changed,

have DVLA issued you a different chassis number/ registration number ? seems a bit stupid if they have considering it is already registered.