Getting the Rangie back on the road after nearly 5 years - MOT jobs?

reggie

As the title says I'm finally trying to get the Rangie back on the road after nearly 5 years (5 years this December). Over the years I've done various jobs in the pursuit of a well built rust free Range Rover Classic with an emphasis for off road. I have done as much as I can with regards to rust, only thing I didn't get done in the underbody waxoyl treatment I had planned although I waxoyled the inside of the chassis last year. Lots of welding & patching up has also been done so that should be good for a while although it does still feel like I'm chasing the rust constantly.

Being nearly 6 years since I put it through an MOT I find it hard to remember what the problem areas are for these vehicles when it comes to MOT.

What are the problem areas I need to be focusing on for a successful MOT pass?

So far all rust/holes have been sorted.

All lights work & horn except for a number plate light bulb ( I'll do that at the garage).

Tyres are like new.

Bushes have all been changed for polybushes all round except for the A-frame.

Brakes & wheel bearings were new 5 years ago & have hardly done any Mileage, so hoping brakes clean up ok after a good drive to MOT station.

Runs on LPG only so should be good for emissions.

New front wiper blades.

New front number plate.

Anything I have forgotten or overlooked?

It's always the stupid little things that catch me out at MoT time.

In the last decade I've had cars fail for:

o Fuel-filler cap seal perished

o Door not openable from outside

o Seat adjuster does not lock reliably after adjustment [i never adjust it so the sticky linkage wasn't obvious until the

tester adjusted it to fit him!]

o Headlamp alignment (I'd not seated a new bulb properly).

Spring mounts all good, windscreen ok, seat belts should be ok but I'll give them all a check. Shocks were all replaced about 6/7 months before it went off the road so assuming they should still be good.

Once the roof lining has been re fitted I may give if a go at an MOT. For some reason though it just doesn't feel like its ready, I don't know if it's just because it's spent so many years on the drive & it's all in my head, it just feels like I still have jobs to do.

• 1 month later...

I had a Defender fail a couple of years ago with the phrase "evidence of a fuel leak on the injector pump". I asked the MoT tester what the best option was, his reply "remove the evidence!"

Happy New Year

Peter
(Defender gone, now a RR 4.6HSE owner - must change my picture!)

Well I still haven't took it for MOT. I ended up buying a set of Ashcroft 4:75 HD crown wheel & pinions with the front set built with a 4 pin carrier from a Wolf Defender. Looking at buying an Ashcroft LSD for the back one. I'm now thinking that I should get the diffs sorted first as it's horrible to drive with the standard gearing on 37s. The axles are the last major upgrade I've been planning to do & the CW&P came at a good price, hard to resist so I thought nows a good a time as any.

Headlamp alignment could be an issue as I've changed the headlights to those crystal ones. Don't they adjust them for you though at the MOT for a fee of course?

They shouldn't do work on the vehicle during an MOT test as it is considered a distraction, the official risk is that they might miss something when they restart the testing process.

Nevertheless, some operators will do it; as a courtesy make sure the screws are accessible, and not 'frozen' into place through corrosion.

Re both your first and last posts "emphasis on off-road" and spending more money on adaptations with the "emphasis on off-road", have you heard of the Deregulation Bill, currently under discussion in Parliament?

Are you aware the antis are pushing, very hard, to add an amendment to the Bill?

The aim of the amendment is "all unsealed rights of way (Byways Open to All Traffic and Unclassified County Roads) should become Restricted Byways and lose their rights of way for motorised vehicle users".

I suggest you extract digits if you wish to enjoy what will become a very expensive tarmac queen, before the curtain comes down.

The antis involved are the same people who made the NERC act so 'effective', against us.

Good Luck.

They shouldn't do work on the vehicle during an MOT test as it is considered a distraction, the official risk is that they might miss something when they restart the testing process.

Nevertheless, some operators will do it; as a courtesy make sure the screws are accessible, and not 'frozen' into place through corrosion.

Re both your first and last posts "emphasis on off-road" and spending more money on adaptations with the "emphasis on off-road", have you heard of the Deregulation Bill, currently under discussion in Parliament?

Are you aware the antis are pushing, very hard, to add an amendment to the Bill?

The aim of the amendment is "all unsealed rights of way (Byways Open to All Traffic and Unclassified County Roads) should become Restricted Byways and lose their rights of way for motorised vehicle users".

I suggest you extract digits if you wish to enjoy what will become a very expensive tarmac queen, before the curtain comes down.

The antis involved are the same people who made the NERC act so 'effective', against us.

Good Luck.

Good point about the headlights adjustment screws, I will take a look at them next time I'm out there.

With regards to the antis, I'm going to finish what I started with the truck & not going to let them put me off. If they do succeed in their on going efforts to stop us driving lanes etc then I guess we will just be limited to events like Bala forest etc.

I just wish they weren't so short sighted in their attempts to stop us enjoying the countryside in our own way & work with us. All that will happen is the lanes will be driven by illegal drivers who wont give a dam about the state of the lanes & all the efforts of GLASS & everybody who has helped to keep them open. At least now most people are trying to do the right thing when it comes to laning by not driving closed lanes & ones that need a break by repairing them. So all the responsible green laners will be completely replaced by irresponsible illegal green laners who let's face it will not care & why would they if it's illegal? Surely the antis must see this?

Is there anybody actually challenging this new amendment?

Is there anybody actually challenging this new amendment?

Yes, GLASS, TRF, LARA.

It appears that the Government have shied away from adopting that amendment, perhaps because there was so much written support that it appeared to be too big an issue to add to a Bill intended for another purpose.

On the other hand, the NERC restrictions were pushed through because (apparently) we weren't awake enough to recognise the threat. We have to make sure the same thing doesn't happen again.

The snag appears to be that we prefer to use the Lanes more than engaging in the political arguments.

The opposition appear to prefer denying us our hobby than simply using non-vehicular routes.

Thus, politically, they are always ahead, and we are always playing catch-up.

Good Luck.