Clutch fluid theft

About a fortnight ago, my clutch started dragging a bit..............not quite disengaging properly, causing the gears to clash slightly.

So I thought I would take the top off the master cylinder to check the fluid, only to find that was not a drop in sight. Completely empty. I filled it up again, but I couldnt be bothered to bleed it as it was getting dark, however, the clutch then seemed to be working OK.

A few days later I looked again, and the reservoir is empty once again, so I filled it up, and went out in the Landy for the afternoon with no issues.

Repeat another three times. Now, there is no fluid running down the back of the pedal or in the footwell, and there are no puddles underneath, and nor is there any dripping from the bellhousing.

So my question is, where is it going ? I cant see any leaks at all, so I can only conclude that someone is syphoning it off...............

Any ideas ?

hmm its not magic so it will be going somewhere. I suggest you have a look a little closer. it could be evaporating off before you get chance to see it.... so look for snail trails and residue as to where it could possible have run.

If the master is leaking then it can pool in the bracket space then overflows down the engine bay side of the bulkhead, not necessarily leak inwards.

Had the same issue myself and was the slave cylinder leaking into the bell housing and then getting burnt off by clutch no signs of fluid on the ground, you defo have a leak somewhere, if it where me for good measure I would replace master and slave as they are not that expensive.

For the reservoir to be emptying itself in a few days I would expect to see a pretty obvious trail if there was a hose/pipe leak.

However IME, slave cylinder failure normally dumps the fluid into the clutch housing, and then the fluid runs out of the drain hole. If the inside of your bellhousing is caked in mud or other muck, it may be absorbing the lost fluid...

Failing that, do you have any local friends comedians that may be having a laugh at your expense? Can your bonnet be opened from outside the cab (early spec)?

see if you can get some UV containing fluid, im sure you can, then after you have lost that take it into a dark garage and go over it with a UV light?

now that's thinking outside the box... I like it! :i-m_so_happy: maybe a little overkill but I like it all the same.

Many thanks for your replies and input, that has all be a bit of a mystery !

I DID wonder if the leak was inside the bellhousing and was being absorbed by dust/mud/whatever inside, but figured that as I had put so much in that SURELY something would have leaked out by now................

Anyway, had a torch all over it but could see nothing, tried running some kitchen roll all over the system, up inside the pedal box, and all over the suspected *ritpart slave cylinder (PO, not me) but still nothing, except for some engine oil, which of course looks, smells, and feels completely different.

Already decided to replace the whole lot and have done with it, as it will be the ideal opportunity to install me spring assisted pedal, but I absolutely HATE not being able to find out what the problem was, because you don't learn anything from it.

Was just about to pack up for the evening, when neighbour arrived home and asked what the problem was THIS TIME, as she is always asking why I don't buy a decent vehicle like her Audi blah blah blah..............Its a standing joke thing, as the Audi has come home on a truck twice, which of course I cant help but point out..................

While she was there I got her to hold down the clutch pedal while I looked underneath, and it was then that the problem hit me in the face..............literally. The jump hose has a tiny pinhole in it, and gives a fine spray which points directly down to the ground when the system is pressurised. When the pedal is released, it stops, and there is no evidence whatsover to be seen, except on closer inspection, a VERY small stain on the gearbox crossmember, and also the rear axle.

I am still going to replace the lot though.