Engine Pre-Heater

Hi

ive been looking at engine pre-heaters again since its starting to get chilly again

i found this jobbie on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Engine-Pre-Heater-240v-/190803451934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c6cc5a01e

Just wondering what people think along the lines of which coolant hose i should put it in and will it affect the flow of coolant when the engine is running??

Tom

Hi Tom, its Not an engine Pre heater.....
This is an engine Pre heater! http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/pre-heaters/cars/diy.html

But a very interesting find though mate! Will be very interesting for people looking to boost

the Defender's poor de misting!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Heater-Store/Heaters-/_i.html?_fsub=1403169014

Cheers
Gary

So to answer the question of what coolant hoses to put it in.

You only really have 2 choices.

The coolent must be able to flow when the thermostat is closed (when engine is cold)

This means that it must be in the heater matrix circuit.

The hose connections look the right size for this (too small for main coolent hoses)

A simple test will tell you how to pumb it up.

If push water through the pump easily when not powered (connect up to garden hose and turn on and water flows)

the you can put it in series in line in the heater matrix hose.

If the flow is restricted then you can put it in parallel with the heater matrix

(T off the flow and return of the heater matrix).

I've used the fan heater method for years.

Hmm

Yesterday in ALDI I noticed some heated seat covers at a tenner a seat. Thermostatically controlled....I'm thinking.

I'm also thinking that if I do. If possible cut the covers and fit the heater pads in the seat as per the expensive kits.

Thoughts ???

I've used the fan heater method for years.

Hmm

Yesterday in ALDI I noticed some heated seat covers at a tenner a seat. Thermostatically controlled....I'm thinking.

I'm also thinking that if I do. If possible cut the covers and fit the heater pads in the seat as per the expensive kits.

Thoughts ???

I have used plug in type seat heaters and they don't seem to last! I would stick using them as covers!

My Dad used to use a flattish paraffin heater under his Austin 7 - not sure if it was made for heating sumps or if it was a greenhouse heater, but anyway it did the trick!

Problem with paraffin is that for every pint of it you burn you create at least a pint of water-vapour in the combustion-gases - probably the last thing you want circulating through and condensing over the colder parts of your engine-bay on a cold night.

If you search engine block heater on the bay , you will see several USA based products , they will run with a building site transformer.

The reason I mention these is they will be much safer than having 240V wired to your car , unless you go the full RCD breaker set up , they are pretty versatile as you can even get bottom hose type, core plug type etc . I have one that was very cheap from usa was in kit for us car no one bid , the heater screwed into pipe (included) I just chopped pipe off and put in 300tdi bottom hose works a treat , its on timer that transformer plugs into , with extension cable out to vehicle , only use it when really cold , as its not needed as a start aid , no probs with that ( fingers crossed) HTSH

Seems to me that there are two different ideas, not used either but could see a bigger advantage for the engine pre heater.
The OP pre heater heats the block and anywhere the water gets to (heater matrix), equals easier starting, quicker engine temp/efficiency, quick cab heat and demisting.
Fan heater only heats the cab and with the draughts in my 90 heat would be lost quicker than the engine gave me warm air after start up!
Neither would I bother with 110v, if your garage electrics aren’t fitted with RCD’s I wouldn’t want to be using electric tools there anyway. ‘Plug in RCD’s’ are an answer & an awful lot cheaper than transformers.

Cookie64, I would be interested in a review if you go down that route, might do the same myself.