How to repair a broken brake lever

disco2hse

Is this brake lever repairable?

20131117_090525.jpg

It has broken along the crease. This is the second one in 7 years and the replacement also shows signs of stress fracturing.

Unfortunately, these are obsoleted now and finding good ones is increasingly difficult. I have looked at the 90/110 brake lever but the bracket is larger.

Is the metal too crappy for an effective repair on these?

Oh, it's out of a Stage 1.

Like above I'd form some sheet around the handle, up and down from the crease, and weld around it, after stitching the break. I'd also drill a few holes in the new sheet and puddle weld them in to the older metal, spreading the stress even further.

G.

Like above I'd form some sheet around the handle, up and down from the crease, and weld around it, after stitching the break. I'd also drill a few holes in the new sheet and puddle weld them in to the older metal, spreading the stress even further.

G.

I like the idea of drilling and filling :)

would the handle part from a 90 or 110 fit ?

Comes off at a different angle and is a different shape. That was the first thought I had :)

I also looked very carefully at eliminating the problem by replacing with the 90/110 brake handle but the bracket is a lot larger. I suppose it could be done but I'd need a custom cable and new holes and backing plates in the seat box (or maybe try to make the 90/110 backing plate fit.

Lot of work really, for little gain. :/

I like the idea of drilling and filling :)

snigger...

on the much more grown up front. that handbrake lever does seem easily repairable. although i would consider changing out to a defender handbrake lever. The installation doesent look much different to the stage one installation and just sandwiches the seat box in the same manner IIRC.

Stage one V8 version:

post-13725-0-13383400-1384889025_thumb.gif

90/110/defender version:

post-13725-0-26969900-1384889335_thumb.gif

These obviously changed for a reason over the stage one handle. my guess would be for more leg space and because of any stresses caused by the poor design of its predecessor.

just my 2p

snigger...

on the much more grown up front. that handbrake lever does seem easily repairable. although i would consider changing out to a defender handbrake lever. The installation doesent look much different to the stage one installation and just sandwiches the seat box in the same manner IIRC.

Stage one V8 version:

attachicon.gifhandbrake 109v8.GIF

90/110/defender version:

attachicon.gifdefenderhandbrake.GIF

These obviously changed for a reason over the stage one handle. my guess would be for more leg space and because of any stresses caused by the poor design of its predecessor.

just my 2p

I'll see how long this one lasts and keep an eye out for a cheap (free) newer version to tinker with.

Put a Disco/RRC lever in on the top of the seatbox where it always should have been from the factory, rather than the stupid place they put it.

Not so good if you've a centre seat but for those of us with cubby boxes it's the way forward.

Major change. Would have to be certified (read, mucho money for checking and certifying).

Jesus, what a ball ache! I'm assuming a Defender lever wouldn't be classed as "major" then? How would they know in any case, unless you happen to get a tester who has driven Land Rovers?

Though the UK does annoy us in many a way one has to admit we get off pretty lightly at the moment with regard to vehicle modifications.

The 90/100 is sufficiently similar as a replacement part for one that is obsoleted. Moving the brake mechanism to a new position and adding new strengthening to the base for something that is a fairly important mechanical bit requires certification. For example, if I were to fit the X-Eng disc hand brake, I would have to have it certified and that's about an additional $400. However, that is engineered and comes premade so it's pretty straight forward. In this case, I'd probably have to provide drawings and specs before doing the work.

The free and easy way mods are undertaken in blighty is one of the reasons it is so hard to get UK landies with mods here and then run them legally on the road.