Pulling the engine forward an inch

I'm going to change my engine mounts and gearbox mounts soon. Looking at the current engine mounts, the top half of them appears to be pulled backwards by the engine thus, they don't sit square under the mount brackets and are constantly under tension. In effect, it's as if the engine needs to be pulled half an inch forwards so that the engine mount brackets sit squarely over the chassis mount brackets. Does that make sense?

I know there is some forwards/backwards adjustment on the gearbox mounts as the holes are slotted, but what would be the best way of drawing the engine forwards?

It sounds like it's time to find a truck just like yours and start measuring? That way you can see what needs to be worked which way? And be sure you aren't pulling something a funny way.

I dont think anything is way out, just that when i last removed the gearboxes, the engine tipped back a little and moved back a little and so, whilst i was able to bolt the gearbox mounts back in place, they were a little too far rearwards. An inch is an exageration it'll be more like 3/8"

A scissor jack between the transferbox and the next x-member should allow you to shift it

with the rear mounts loosened

cheers

Steveb

Good plan. My bottle jack with a wooden spreader should do the trick if i loosen the gearbox mount bolts where the slitted holes are and then jack forward a little.

Call me daft, but if all you're trying to do is effectively move where the gearbox mounts are bolted up, why not just slacken the bolts, then use a drift/screwdriver to knock forward the bottom plate of the mount??

Because the engine and gearbox and props are still attached. I don't think a screwdriver will give me enough leverage to shift all that? The jack will also hold it all in place whilst I nip the bolts back up.

Loosen the nuts, drive car into tree, tighten nuts. Simples.

I have a similar issue with my 1987 300Tdi, but that is apparently a little too far forward and does not leave space for the viscous fan - which may be further frustrated by the automatic gearbox fitment on the (original?) gearbox mounts. Once day it will all be sorted out with a nice new chassis...

Chris

Because the engine and gearbox and props are still attached. I don't think a screwdriver will give me enough leverage to shift all that? The jack will also hold it all in place whilst I nip the bolts back up.

But all you're trying to do is move the base of the mount, jacking the whole lot forward may not even achieve what you want!

But all you're trying to do is move the base of the mount, jacking the whole lot forward may not even achieve what you want!

I want to move the gearbox and engine forward half an inch so that the base of the engine mount brackets sit further forwards over the engine mount welded to the chassis. Just shuffling the gearbox mount forward without moving the engine and box wont acheive this.