Temporary Road Tax?

discomikey

the idea of temporary insurance is quite common, but Brian has been off the road for a while for some TLC and i have insured myself on a Chevy as a temporary daily driver whilst i am working in coventry (security, fuel and mileage reasons) and as a resuly Brian is uninsured, and now because of the (kind of) recent law, i can't keep him taxed without insurance.

how do i go about temporarily insuring him for a weekend here and there without the hassle and added cost of taxing him (minimum for a month) every time?

it seems this new law has bitten the average classic car owner in the ass. im sure a lot of you will also have had to work a solution to this problem before..

the ideal would be keep him taxed and insured all year although that would be too expensive. i had a look on admiral at a quote for their multicar insurance but short of ringing them up and talking to them about how non standard it is, i cant get an accurate quote.

what do all you guys do? (i need him road legal as he is my only tow motor etc)

Legally you can't, if he's taxed for a month he must be insured for the whole month as well. Anyway I've usually found it costs a fortune to have short term insurance, usually much cheaper to have a year with limited mileage. Not that I have tried for a long time though.

Why would anyone have something not insured anyway. Just because you're not driving it doesn't stop it being stolen or catching fire!!

this was my fear, im looking into the legalities of having it insured on the farm policy, as i have a daily driver, this wouldnt be classed as "fronting" IIRC and as it was already insured as business use for the farm under my name before it is actually used as a farm truck for towing, farm work and all sorts of rural duties.

then ill just tax it all year round so i or dad can just jump in it without worrying about paperwork

when I bought my current car, I had my previous car for another 2 weeks, to get it mot'd and sell it on Ebay. I had transfered the insurance to my new car, but was allowed to have the old one insured for an additional £3 a day. Alternatively, Aviva online could insure it for £10 a day. These were for a standard hatchback and full no claim driver. there is no reason why you cannot sorn the car and tax it again when you need, sorn it a bit later again.

Daan

the problem with taxing when needed and getting a refund is that its a minimum of a month payment, so if i want to get tax for 3 seperate weekends over the year i have to pay for 3 months in effect. along with the more expensice weekend insurance would make it as cheap to insure and tax for the full year haha

• 2 weeks later...

If you only use it 3 weekends a year then sell it!

I'd hire a Defender when I needed it!

sell? i think you might need to go to see the doctors at the funny farm.

i use it as an every day driver, towing, motorway work, my work truck recovery the lot. its basically just having "a year off" while i sort out some bits and bobs on it that might require it to be apart for a short while, like fully welding up the bulkhead and maybe another respray