300tdi pwer steering pump deletion

L835

Hi, I'm hoping to change the power steering for manual in my ex-army 110, as the box has finally stopped even pretending to retain fluid! It was converted to a 300tdi by the previous owner, but I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. It was originally manual, and without a pump and hoses there are a few less things to leak/go wrong! Has anyone else managed to get rid of the pump? A trawl of the net suggests in order of difficulty

1. Leave pump in place but pipe output directly to input or
  2. Strip pump internals and use as an idler or
  3. Remove pump and reroute a shorter drive belt or
  4. Fabricate a new idler to replace the pump

Any advice/experience/ideas would be welcome

Thanks

Richard

I changed power for manual in my last 110 (200tdi) and didn't notice much change in the effort required to steer! I am trying to restore it to it's original condition - all be it slowly and in stages. The 300tdi conversion was at best a compromise as being a wader he didn't fit an air filter due to the lack of space........

So what engine is in the 110 now? If you kept the 300Tdi then you would have noticed that you have a serpentine belt. If the pump is removed, then good luck with ever finding a belt that is the correct length and width. Years ago with my 300Di conversion when I still didn't have power steering, I kept the power steering pump for the above reason. But what I did do was also kept the fluid expansion tank which was plumbed to the pump. It simply pumped fluid between them continuously.

Also I do know of a guy in Canada who also did a 300Di conversion where he opened the pump and packed it will grease, then plugged the inlet/outlet holes. That trick has been successful for him, he too realized that he couldn't remove the pump due to not finding a replacement belt.

Todd.

Hi, thanks for the replies so far! joe1joe, tried that and its leaking again! Tuko, it has a 300tdi with power steering in, connecting the tank to the reservoir might be the way to go! Will have a think about the belt Lewis, and Red90 I have a good manual box ready to fit.