Fitting 37 inch tyres without a lift

lrmini

Hi All

I am new to writing on forums so please excuse my spelling I am far better with tools than with a keyboard.

This question all starts as I have just bought a disco 1 200tdi as a donor for my ex mod 1987 90, but this disco has had full service history at landrover and only one owner and it is far to good to rip its heart out for my 90.

So I have MOT the disco and using it as a daily car but then the boys were all going green laneing so I fitted a 2 inch lift and fit wheel spaces and some 265 75 r16's but it has realy changed the quality of its driving on road and its going to come off, with this it has realy made me think if I want to lift my 90 and fit 37s to her.

But if you only need to lift a defender 3 to 4 inchs plus all the other things to fit 37's.

Could I just make new arches in the tub 4 inchs higher and make complete new wings with 4 inch more room?

I could realy do with some advice before I start, I know the fabrication side of this idea will invole a lot of work but I used to be a sheet metal worker so I am not new to that side of it but the rest I could do with the help.

Reason I would like to do this are:

1. Hope not to float like a boat.
  2. No need for lift so least to go wrong like props.
  3. Keep the center of gravity down.
  4. But have the hight for the axle clearance with the 37s with out using unimogs.

Thanks for reading.

Yes you can. If you lift the rear wheelboxes by enough to clear the wheels and remove the front inner wings, you should be able to do this. The wheel arch extensions might need a bit of cuting as well. The endresult will be a much better handling and stable car.

Welcome to the fold btw.

Daan

My intention is to run 36" tyres with no lift, so will be modding the rear wheel boxes like yourself.

I used to run 36" tyres with red/white springs on the front (some lift but not much) and didn't have clearance issues at the front so you may be okay, then again you have bigger tyres and no lift so it may be a problem

I'm interested to see how you get on

Daan, how do you find it running with no inner wings? Any adverse effects besides mud all over the engine bay?

sounds like a good idea ! i have a 110 and run 33" insa turbos on a 2" lift with castor correction arms,ajustable panhard rod and a return to center steering damper and it dont handle very well but its 10x better than my mates disco with 2" lift and 265 75 16 tyres its like a boat !! lol

would really like to see what this comes out like good luck with it .

I dont think running without inner wings is a big problem; with myoffroading the endresult is usually mud everywhere, inner wings or not. I would be a bit wary about removing the fan cowling though, as many people do. The problem I can see here is stones damaging the radiator core.

I have run without innerwings for a good 8 years now, removed them due to the wheels catching too much, despite them sitting higher in the bodywork than normal. I also realized they weigh a ton.

Daan