Anyone got a cheap tracker off eBay?

mikec

Well I bought a cheap tracker on eBay, but the instructions aren't the best, does anyone understand the the last part of this please....

Mainly the last part of the first pic I don't know what apn is so I just put apn haha any ideas please? Its on an orange SIM card. Cheers mike

post-1290-0-00834600-1390591148_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-93083000-1390591168_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys I just googled it proper on the iPad and found the same site as above, strangely I got a text back with the made up apn details I put in haha but it showed the location about half a mile away :( tried new settings so I will see, fingers crossed

I bought two about a year ago, spot on everytime, just took me forever to get it set up propperly without it spending money texting me at every start up, good value and it survived a year bouncing around in the machine so money I hope well spent.

I've used them for a few years now, very useful especially those with a geo fence option.

The TK104 is a good option for vehicles, particularly as it gives you an "engine kill" option ad is mostly waterproof. I've also been known to carry a TK102 when I'm off on my own on my mountain bike.

If it's of any interest I wrote an app to make controlling them a bit easier day to day, in particular making it easy to quickly define a geo fence area and control more than one device... (iPhone only at the moment)...
https://itunes.apple.com/tr/app/tkcontroller/id601959183?mt=8

It supports a number of different device types and more get added each time someone sends me a manual for yet another device type.

Well i tried it again with the apn details for orange and it still gave the wrong address, the same one address as before. So I thought is go for a drive round and see if it just needs to get its bearings or something tried it again and still the same so all in all it doesn't work haha

I've used them for a few years now, very useful especially those with a geo fence option.

The TK104 is a good option for vehicles, particularly as it gives you an "engine kill" option ad is mostly waterproof. I've also been known to carry a TK102 when I'm off on my own on my mountain bike.

If it's of any interest I wrote an app to make controlling them a bit easier day to day, in particular making it easy to quickly define a geo fence area and control more than one device... (iPhone only at the moment)...

https://itunes.apple.com/tr/app/tkcontroller/id601959183?mt=8

It supports a number of different device types and more get added each time someone sends me a manual for yet another device type.

What's the app called dave that link just brings up a blank webpage on my iPhone

Search "TKController"

Dave. .That's a great little app....

I have mine powered all the time as it only lasts for 5 days max without a charge and then texts me to death :)

The fence option is really a help as using your app I can set it simply even when away from home!!

I think mine is a TLT-2H (Which seems to be working...)

The SMS locate button currently uses 666+password and I get readout location and speed etc but I generally use the Google Map Coordinates option 669+password...

Any chance of adding that as a button for TLT-2H?

Once again.. Great app.. Many thanks for writing it.

Neil

I think mine is a TLT-2H (Which seems to be working...)

The SMS locate button currently uses 666+password and I get readout location and speed etc but I generally use the Google Map Coordinates option 669+password...

Any chance of adding that as a button for TLT-2H?

Glad you found it useful :)

I'll be shipping a new version in the next week or so, in test at the moment with some changes, mostly to take advantage of some iOS 7 features.

The app at the moment is limited to the 10 control buttons on the main page although any of them can be reconfigured to suit a specific device. Do you have a manual for yours or a link to it ?

It's probably safest for me to add a new device type to the configuration with 669+password replacing 666+password for the SMS locate button. The manual for the TLT-2H I have doesn't list 669 as a valid instruction so yours may be a later revision.

I have one of these to fit when it stops raining: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XDN58K/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_at_ws_gb?ie=UTF8

I looked at those recently on eBay too, but reading the reviews in Amazon there it seems the current draw is quite high with it, the reviewer says the same as an interior light, anyone any experience on that ?

Two reviews mention the current draw:

First one says ...

First off is the power consumption - measured at 100mA. This is not far off that used by your interior light, and you would not leave that on all day and night either. That consumption is enough to take a toll on your battery after a week without charging.

Second one :

80-90mA for the first hours when plugged in (charging I assume), but this drops to about 25mA within 12hrs.

Can you not do anything to improve accuracy ? Is it it where you are ? Or where it's mounted ?

Well at the minute I've just had it on a battery to try it, first it was outside the front door then in the back of my astra van. I don't know how these things work but I'm guessing it's not a gps tracker and that it just uses the mobile SIM card so that's probably where the problem lies?