Classic Front Inner Wings

V8david

Hi all

This I assume has been done to death but anyway... I am carrying out the old chestnut of replacing the front OS inner wing on my 1989 RRC. It's off and everything's cleaned up ready to put the new one on.

Does it have to be welded or can I bolt the new one on (at the bulkhead end particularly)? Just thinking that if it was bolted on instead of welded everything could be fully painted and undersealed and rustproofed all over before putting it together.

Were the original classics front inner wings bolted on?

It would also be much easier to re-do again in another 25 years ( :rolleyes:).

Cheers

Dave

p.s. What do you recommend painting it with once it's in?

Thanks for the super fast replies.

Bugger... I thought that'd be the case.

I didn't know just how bad the body mounts are for cultivating rot until I took the front two off! The NS one is thankfully salvagable (just), rest of that wing is also fine.

I think I might just visit the rest of the body mounts now even though they look ok, save them from themselves!

Thanks again.

Dave

My front mounts under the light boxes were made of dust. YRM or Easy on Panels are our saviours!

:lol: I know! Those are the two particularly bad ones on mine (so far :unsure: ). Amazingly the two at the back of the engine bay are fine. Thank god given their position...

It's an interesting one, and a grey area really.

In MOT terms the RaRo inner wings are not a 'prescribed area', because it has a separate chassis.

BUT there is that catch all about 12" from a body mount etc. Also the inner wing might be supporting items like the ABS pump and accumulator, as well as the brake pipes flexi mounts.

The early (I think it was pre '86) cars were bolted.The switch to welding was not for structural reasons, purely cheaper and quicker to weld.

It's one of those discussions that can go round and round. My own RaRo has one side that's welded at the bulkhead end, bolted at the radiator end. The other side is fully welded. None of the various MOT testers have ever mentioned it.

Personally I'm not really fussed it it's bolted or welded. The body mounts on the inner wings don't carry the real bulk of the body, they only really carry the radiator, wings, bonnet etc. The body shell's real mass is supported by the bulkhead body mounts, rear body cross member mounts and the ones on the inner sills.

I was contemplating a decent PU adhesive for this on my RRC - it's used for glueing combat aircraft and airliners together, and held the tub rear cross member in extremely well on my 109, causing a lot of trouble when it had to be replaced after an accident. It's incredibly strong, possibly stronger than spot welding because of its continuous nature, and will prevent any possibility of moisture ingress between the spot/rose/stitch welds, which will cause weakness as the flanges rust in the future. The front wings are not structural items. Replacing the sills on the other hand, and repairing the door pillar, are definitely welding jobs.

It's a real can of worms Snagger. Thankfully the diagram in the MOT manual clearly shows they aren't prescribed areas.

BUT.... a really picky tester could use the ABS pump and reservoir or the brake flexi mountings as a failure point if corroded to excess.

PU adhesive has a lot of merit, after all modern cars are often glued together!

Thanks for all the replies, very interesting. I'm lining it all up at the moment, currently held in with a few self tappers and the body mount. Feels bloody sturdy already! I will weld it up then weld it in once it's in one piece.

Has anyone used the poly body mount rubbers? Never seen them before and just come across them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rangerover-P38-Body-to-Chassis-Mounting-Bushes-in-Polyurethane-ANR1504-/280977010655

Less likely to split than the rubber?

Plenty of red oxide after it's on, then a good coat of chassis black all over, followed by underseal wherever there is likely to be stone/mud/water impacting at high speed would be my preferred solution. Cavity wax into the body mounts where the bolts fit, before the bolts are inserted, followed by a quick spray once in and the a top up/over once in and done up - stop any water ingress between the rubber mounts, the bolt and the steel panel. Seam sealer along all joins/seams after painting, you could run black tiger seal (other super sticky stuff is available) in a nice neat bead to keep it tidy, and smooth into corners as you go (same idea as silicone round the bath)

"In MOT terms the RaRo inner wings are not a 'prescribed area', because it has a separate chassis."

Erm... a prescribed area does not denote just the chassis! Anything structural/load bearing major components etc. Body mounts are obviously a prescribed area.

Welded, it is a structural member incorporating the body mounts :)

I understand your sentiment Pete, but the anal engineer in me just couldn't let this slide... ;)

A structural member can equally well be bolted in, at least I hope so or else there are quit a few non structural bridges out there that you lot have driven over and under.... :o

As stated above, the likey reason for the change to welded would have been on cost grounds, nothing more. It will also be an easier connection to protect from corrosion.

Bowie69, correct. But go and look at the diagram in the MOT testers manual for vehicles with separate chassis, the front inner wings aren't marked as prescribed!

As I said, there's the catch of all of being within 12" of a body mount etc.

As predicted this is going round and round, it has done for as long as I've owned a Range Rover.. Knocking 20 years!

There's something in the MOT wording, can't recall it exactly, but it basically equates to not needing ALL the body mounts secure and strong. The ones on the front inner wings aren't carrying anything like the load of the rest.

My understanding is that the areas around a mounting point as we are describing are also a prescribed area.

In other words, all areas where excessive corrosion can cause a fail is a prescribed area.

That's kind of my take on it too. But the manual doesn't illustrate them as prescribed areas. Hence I don't describe or think of them as such in the strictest manner.

As we've discussed above, technically they should still fail if corroded to excess or badly repaired due to the body mounts and the brake components.

But then again, there's that point about not actually requiring all body mounts intact!

I guess this is why this discussion has been going round and round and round for years. Until VOSA issues a firm bulletin on the inner wings of the RRC, it will continue to go round and round and round.

Are we bored yet? :hysterical:

Doesn't the wording say something along the lines of 'likely to cause loss of control'?

I dunno about you, but I'd call losing the brake assistance a pretty dramatic loss of control! If you've ever driven a Wabco ABS equipped RRC without the pump working I'd wager you'd feel the same :o