200 tdi wont turn over, locked solid :(

Just a couple of tips but I always use guage tape (flexiguage) when I assemble an engine, its easy enough, slip in the guage tape, torque up the bearing, undo and measure the clearance against what the manual specifies, guage tape or flexiguage - the most common product name - comes in various thicknesses for each range of bearing clearance and the packet has a scale, you place the compressed tape over the scale to see what clearance there is in this way you wont or should'nt have this problem ever again, and you get to see just how worn or not your crank is.

The other tip would be did you remove the bearing metal and oil glaze off the crank with ultra fine wet & dry before fitting the new bearings, again an advisable practice.

Crank bearing faces like new, the original bearings were like new, they were only changed because the engine was apart anyway to change a bent conrod, everything will be fine when we put another set of bearings in and caps right way round,

I will clean everything up though :)

It DOES matter what way round the conrods are. And the pistons.

The conrod and caps are numbered, and the number is on the same side as the bearing shell tags (both tags should be on the same side) and all these should be on the right hand side when looking from the rear and the block up the right way.

The pistons have arrows on the crowns which should point to the front.

Its a long time since I have looked at one of these, but I am sort of thinking that the conrods have some sort of offset front to back..................

Only other thing could be that the cap or rod mating faces have been ground or filed in an attempt to take up slack in old bearings ? In which case the only solution would be to trim the shells themselves....................

No one would do this nowadays though............would they ? Not unless one were marooned in Africa or something. Mind you, it IS a Land Rover, and there for the bodging

Do the main parts of the rods have number stamped in too? I can't remember if it's on both parts or just the cap, but mixing the caps from one rod to another, even if fitted the right way round, will cause these problems.

Yes to conrod & cap having stamped in numbers, IIRC the rods will only fit oneway. shouldn't mix rods/caps they are machined as a matching set.

• 2 weeks later...

All is good, thank you all for the good advice.

Starts and runs lovely now, a little blue haze from exhaust, not much. Hoping that it is four year old diesel and the fact that this engine hasn't run for over four years, give it a good blast when its run in a little.

Turbo is new and intercooler / inlet etc all washed out with brake cleaner so maybe some injector cleaner and new diesel will sort it out.