Recommend me a trolley jack

Lewis

As title really, it must be sub £100 and have a vertical handle, and preferably have a low enough saddle height for working on my daily driver as well as the 90

So what are you guys using?

Thanks

I've got a monster Arcan one from Costco - think it's the same as:

http://www.adamsautoadvice.com/2011/12/best-floor-jack-ever-arcan-xl35r-from-costco/

It's high enough lift for the landy, and low enough entry to get under a lowered car. The only downside is that it's very very heavy!

I think it was under £100 - and with Costco's warranty if there's any probs in the future they will exchange or refund for free :)

I have this set and and am more than impressed with it, although if you have axle stands already then a similar jack with quick lift may be a better option. It's low enough for normal cars, the saddle fits most LR bits well and it's very stable at full height.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-3-Ton-Tonne-Hydraulic-Car-Van-Trolley-Jack-2-Trolley-Jacks-Axle-Stands-/200680103409?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item2eb9775df1

I've previously bought some from Machine Mart following a review from a LR comic, they were useless scrap and 5 broke in 4 years, purely through DIY usage.

Landowner, that size of jack would be impractical for my intended use :)

Muddy, I'm trying to avoid anything remotely hobby, I've not had good experience with Clarke tooling

Boris, that looks like a good deal, you can never have too many axle stands, I wonder how much the jack is on it's own

I know what you mean about Clarke stuff, I wouldn't really class myself as hobby use but everyone has different views on what's what, I do use the jacks less now I have the ramps but I still use these once a month changing my wheels and tyres http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj3000g-3-tonne-professional-garage-j

This is the hi lift one probably had it 8 years now. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj2glc-2-tonne-hd-high-lift-trolley-ja

At work we use draper ones and they are pretty exercise I don't think I'd invest my own money.

Will.

I've got the Sealey 3tonne as well and I'm pleased with it.

It's got the lift you need, but the valve is a POS. It sticks and you twist more and it goes whump to the floor. I usually apply a little handle twist and tap the cog round, which works well. It needs a little handle welding onto the lower cog when I get bored.

To reiterate; Good jack, some quirks - but hey, it's cheap :) I'd go same again.

Team Idris, that's good to know - there is a hilka 3tonne in one of the departments at work and it's almost impossible to lower it in a controlled manner - the valve seems to be open or closed with nothing between. I'm hoping to get something a bit more useable

The costco one is excellent, has taken a lot of abuse and will lift a 110 easily with about a foot under the wheels, it's also low enough to go under anything I tried it on including a lowered 190 cosworth and it's ridiculous skirt, agree with above though it's very very heavy!

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I went for the Halfords jack as recommended by jbs above. The retail price is £99.99 and with the trade discount it was down to £79.99

First impressions are that it's sturdy, and it's certainly heavy enough at 35kg. I've given it a quick up and down to change the front springs on the 90 at it seems fine in operation. I'm not sure how long the foot pedal is gonna last though

I'll report back when it's had more use

In the end I went for the Halfords jack as recommended by jbs above. The retail price is £99.99 and with the trade discount it was down to £79.99

First impressions are that it's sturdy, and it's certainly heavy enough at 35kg. I've given it a quick up and down to change the front springs on the 90 at it seems fine in operation. I'm not sure how long the foot pedal is gonna last though

I'll report back when it's had more use

See this is where a like button wouldn't go a miss lol-nice one Lewis hope it works well for you

John

Funny you should say that john, Today I swapped the simex for the 205's so I can put the 90 back in the garage and whilst doing so the handle fell off the jack. Not the best start.

There is a small knurled screw at the lever which when screwed in is supposed to engage in a grove in the tip of the handle thus allowing the handle to turn but not pull out. This screw is too short so only just engages in the grove, and therefore allows the handle to pull out when you drag the jack across ridged concrete.

At the moment I've got an M10x30 screwed in instead, but I'll come up with a more permanent solution when I'm next in the garage

It's not your doing John :) , I'm still happy with the purchase

I've had that handle separating issue before on other jacks so when I assembled this halfords one I used a nyloc nut on the cross bolt