SU conversion?

Chicken Drumstick

The Suzuki guys use one RV8 SU carb (HIF I think?) and make up a simple 90 degree bend. It does need a rolling road to get the right needle put in there.

I don't how far off it would be with the RV8 needle? Probably better than a worn out standard carb :)

I've just fitted an SU to my 2,25 last fall, I don't have a stock manifold fitted it has a wider port as it's for a two barrel weber jobby. But actually it would be a lot easier to fit to a standard manifold as it would just need an ordinary round piece of tube, I used exhaust tubing for mine, here's some pics of the process:

post-9137-0-83342800-1394978156_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-93265600-1394978174_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-50489700-1394978190_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-76492400-1394978206_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-95559400-1394978224_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-73315100-1394978247_thumb.jpg

The only thing I miss from before the SU is that just as a RV8 or my Jag for that matter, it runs like **** till it gets hot, the downdraft carbs without the CV type piston works much better when cold. But do NOT like steep angles, which the SU does. So as always a compromise

Soren, is there any angle that the SU carb is not happy on ? I am quite happy with my Zenith carb after resurfacing it around 15 years ago. The only angles that it is not happy on is steep left side down, that would put a standard LR on its roof, and dropping down into creek beds etc where the angle exceeds 40 degrees or so. Other than that it has been a reliable 'set and forget' unit.

Well I haven't run it a whole lot on the 80" yet, but have run a bunch of V8's with it, and laying on their side they just burble on nicely at idle. The thing they seem to do very differently to other carbs is not flooding the engine when on steep angles, rather they seem to lean out (probably due to lacking fuel in float chamber) But this is preferable I think, as flooding your engine every now and again kills the sparkplugs rather rapidly. The allround best carb I've had on a 2,25 was actually the rather disliked single port weber from Paddocks. It wasn't as good at steep angles as the SU, but tolerable, and it didn't have the annoying poor running when cold. But the venturi was simply too small for my application making it lack power at WOT.

Fitting a monopoint injection from some eurobox is still lurking in the back of my head, but I like the simplicity of the carbs so I'm probably staying there for quite a while to come

Edit to add pictures, in this instance they ran perfectly and it was only due to the heavy axles and wheels it didn't flop over:
post-9137-0-55704500-1395055021_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-49380200-1395055042_thumb.jpg

Well I haven't run it a whole lot on the 80" yet, but have run a bunch of V8's with it, and laying on their side they just burble on nicely at idle. The thing they seem to do very differently to other carbs is not flooding the engine when on steep angles, rather they seem to lean out (probably due to lacking fuel in float chamber) But this is preferable I think, as flooding your engine every now and again kills the sparkplugs rather rapidly. The allround best carb I've had on a 2,25 was actually the rather disliked single port weber from Paddocks. It wasn't as good at steep angles as the SU, but tolerable, and it didn't have the annoying poor running when cold. But the venturi was simply too small for my application making it lack power at WOT.

Fitting a monopoint injection from some eurobox is still lurking in the back of my head, but I like the simplicity of the carbs so I'm probably staying there for quite a while to come

Edit to add pictures, in this instance they ran perfectly and it was only due to the heavy axles and wheels it didn't flop over:

attachicon.gifWP_000198.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_000199.jpg

My Zenith carb would run all day on that attitude. Tilting the vehicle on the same angle in the opposite direction is where it gets a bit iffy.

The ideal with the HIF su is to mount it horizontal in both planes. They will then run at any vehicle angle you are likeley to get to.

There should not be a cold running problem unless you have one without the choke operation function . this works by lowering the jet tube, and thereby enriching the mixture . They also have a bimetallic fuel temp compensator on the jet position arm .

HTSH. I had one on a 2.25 back in 70,s home made manifold adapter, IIRC got it from a 2ltr ital (marina) seemed to perform perfectly without any needle change. !

I ran an HS6 (?) carb from a TR7 on my SIIA,made up out of junk from under the bench.It used to run about 2.5% Co at idle yet would start and run without choke right down to about freezing,then it needed just a little choke.

What was best about was the stupid angles it happily ran at and you could literally stamp on the throttle and it would just pick up - from a 500 rpm idle.I doubt it would have run much better with fuel injection.It also had lumenition providing sparks.It was bloomin brilliant and totally reliable,rather wish I hadn't scrapped it....

The ideal with the HIF su is to mount it horizontal in both planes. They will then run at any vehicle angle you are likeley to get to.

There should not be a cold running problem unless you have one without the choke operation function . this works by lowering the jet tube, and thereby enriching the mixture . They also have a bimetallic fuel temp compensator on the jet position arm .

HTSH. I had one on a 2.25 back in 70,s home made manifold adapter, IIRC got it from a 2ltr ital (marina) seemed to perform perfectly without any needle change. !

HIF does not use tube height for choke, this is by a fuel valve on the side of the second spindle. The hieght adjusts the mixture with temp compensation as you say.